How can I become a physicist without a diploma or formal education?

• Thread starter papajo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, John from Greece is not able to get into any physics course at any university because of the exam system in place. He is hoping to find someone to help him start from scratch and get the knowledge he needs to be a successful physicist. He has a solid knowledge of mathematics and physics, and is willing to learn more to be able to pursue a physics degree.
papajo
Hello my name is john and I am from Greece unfortunately I am not able to pass into any physics course at any university in my country because we use an exam system here in which high school seniors are tested in a all the fundamental fields together no matter their orientation.

For example: no matter if you like to be a cop a mathematician or a seaman you have to be examed in literature, mathematics, physics, economics etc all together (the total number of fields is 7)the only difference is the minimum average grade that each field and university demands in order to accept you.

Like Police academies have lower minimum average grade than physics.

So because I don’t like some fields (literature, computer engineering, economics) I won’t manage to excel thus I won’t manage to get in a university.

However I want to study physics!

I have a solid knowledge of general mathematics far more than just understand and solve simple functions or limits etc. The same goes for """"physics""" (the general stuff that we learn at high school)

I tried to start study myself but there is such a vast amount of data so many different specialties and I fell I don’t "evolve" my knowledge properly...

for example after all the random readying I’ve done I tried to focus a little on string theory... during this process I steped on some things that could have been characterized as "difficult" or "advanced" but seemed to me very obvious or at least easy to understand .. some others though that might be considered as "fundamental" or "easy" were very hard for me to understand or to relate with the rest of the concept... and I think that's because of "partial lack of knowledge in numerous fields"

And "partial" is the keyword the word that kills me and makes me think I am doing something wrong or less efficient...

So I want you to help me start from scratch my study by give me references or recommend me some books or some methods to accumulate the needed knowledge (not easy stuff like A,B level functions classical physics and all the other highscool stuff) so that I will do solid steps without having question marks popping on my head and gradually reach a point after some years to have a solid knowledge of modern physics.

To cut the long story short I want to become a physicist no matter if I never get a diploma (for me it’s just paper and ink) after all I want to obtain the true and complete knowledge or die trying not to get a job so it doesn’t matter to me if I do this on my own and never get accredited by others for my progress or achievements

I thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152"There are some interesting materials here.

I advise you to ask for help and information at universities (i.e. admissions office) whether you might be reconsidered despite of your lack of "general knowledge". Make sure you study well and prove that you're good enough for doing a physics degree. And make sure you really would want to study physics. (Physics is not all about string theory and becoming the next Einstein.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your response but you totally misunderstood me :P

1 I don’t lack in general knowledge I just can’t get high grades in fields which I don’t care about... the schools here in Greece are not the same as your schools ( I suppose you are from us) there you focus on practical exercise, cooperation in order to achieve a goal etc.. Here its mostly about theory LOTS of theory... especially the senior year people use to learn many sophisticated things which are similar (in level) with the first year in a pre graduate university...

And that’s the problem I don’t like to spend hours on learning advanced management and economics nor to learn high level literature etc... at least not at the point its needed to get an "A" or more in those fields. (because that the grades I need)2 I know what physics is all about I am not a fan boy that saw a few documentaries on TV about the big bang and decided to learn physics...the "String theory thing " was serving just as an example I didn’t start A step basic Newton fundamentals and then B step string theory...

As I mentioned I have a solid knowledge of mathematics and physics.Now for your link I thank you again, I am able to pass in a foreign university its easy usually (ok with a few exceptions like MIT etc) the only part that will be a little difficult is to learn the language...

But the main problem I didn’t try to get a university outside of my country is money...

Thank you again my friend but I have researched the obvious possibilities the only thing I need is a little help to construct a studying program that will be efficient to build a solid foundation in order to let me research advanced topics in physics.

So I need like references to certain group of books and/or some advices or giving me direct methods on how to start my study program (What topics how much to research on what thing what to read first what to read later, priorities and things like that)
P.S : I respect Einstein but I don’t give him as much credit as he has by the media etc I think it’s a after WW2 propaganda thing after 100-200 years history won't accredit him so boldly for his (?) achievements. - I don't say that he didnt worth nothing as a phycisist I just have reasons to believe that the credit for many thing his name is involved doesn't go entirly to him not even partialy in some cases)

What do you mean by 'I want to be a physicist' if that doesn't involve having a job in physics? Do you want to contribute to the field and publish articles? What level of math are you comfortable with? Are you actually interested in college, or have you given up on that? High school and college students in the US need to know a lot more than just physics to become a physicist.

papajo said:
Hello my name is john and I am from Greece unfortunately I am not able to pass into any physics course at any university in my country because we use an exam system here in which high school seniors are tested in a all the fundamental fields together no matter their orientation.

For example: no matter if you like to be a cop a mathematician or a seaman you have to be examed in literature, mathematics, physics, economics etc all together (the total number of fields is 7)the only difference is the minimum average grade that each field and university demands in order to accept you.

Like Police academies have lower minimum average grade than physics.

So because I don’t like some fields (literature, computer engineering, economics) I won’t manage to excel thus I won’t manage to get in a university.

Usually the intention of these types of programs - a well meaning one, is that one should be "well-rounded" and versed in a number of topics before narrowing down to anything more specific. The younger you are the harder this is to appreciate, and unfortunately, that's the time when you most encounter this sort of thing.

It's likely (I could be wrong) that the problem is that you are just not interested in these other fields right now and/or don't see their relevance. Some of us don't catch on until much later that even when we have specific interests (like physics or math) that there are some very important interconnections between all these disciplines that make studying them worthwhile, and if you miss out now you're going to have to catch up later, or feel stupid when you're in a room full of educated people who have this type of intelligence. You don't have to be great at it, but I think you should give it a try.

I'm such a geek that I have to quote Star Trek, as Captain Picard has this discussion with the precocious young Wesley Crusher:

Picard: "Did you read that book I gave you?"
Wesley: "Some of it."
Picard: "That's reassuring."
Wesley: "I just don't have much time."
Picard: "There's no greater challenge than the study of philosophy."
Wesley: "But, William James won't be on my Starfleet exams."
Picard: "The important things never will be. Anyone can be trained in the mechanics of piloting a starship."
Wesley: "But, Starfleet Academy--"
Picard: "It takes more. Open your mind to the past; art, history, philosophy, and all this may mean something."

However I want to study physics!

I have a solid knowledge of general mathematics far more than just understand and solve simple functions or limits etc. The same goes for """"physics""" (the general stuff that we learn at high school)

That's great - use it. Your foundation of mathematics especially can be your bridge to all the other topics you've mentioned. Computer engineering and economics especially. You might not see a connection with literature yet, but find your favorite Sci-Fi writer and see what kind of background they have.

I tried to start study myself but there is such a vast amount of data so many different specialties and I fell I don’t "evolve" my knowledge properly...

for example after all the random readying I’ve done I tried to focus a little on string theory... during this process I steped on some things that could have been characterized as "difficult" or "advanced" but seemed to me very obvious or at least easy to understand .. some others though that might be considered as "fundamental" or "easy" were very hard for me to understand or to relate with the rest of the concept... and I think that's because of "partial lack of knowledge in numerous fields"

If you find string theory easy you are probably reading material that is written for a general audience. Same with any type of quantum theory, dark matter, etc. etc. The people who have written these books have done so by having a grasp on those fundamental principals, which right now you may find difficult or boring. BTW, we're in kind of the same boat here. The only difference between you and I is that I've caught on to this fact - fortunately for you, you have a chance to correct it much sooner.

And "partial" is the keyword the word that kills me and makes me think I am doing something wrong or less efficient...

So I want you to help me start from scratch my study by give me references or recommend me some books or some methods to accumulate the needed knowledge (not easy stuff like A,B level functions classical physics and all the other highscool stuff) so that I will do solid steps without having question marks popping on my head and gradually reach a point after some years to have a solid knowledge of modern physics.

To cut the long story short I want to become a physicist no matter if I never get a diploma (for me it’s just paper and ink)

That is true of a bachelor's degree - many people manage to get through one without learning much of anything, but if you want to consider yourself "a physicist" you're not going to do it with graduate work, which is significantly less forgiving and more meaningful.

after all I want to obtain the true and complete knowledge or die trying not to get a job so it doesn’t matter to me if I do this on my own and never get accredited by others for my progress or achievements

Personal knowledge is a great thing, but real progress and achievements will not be made without some kind of support structure and these are usually best found in an academic environment.

-Dave KA

papajo said:
1 I don’t lack in general knowledge I just can’t get high grades in fields which I don’t care about... the schools here in Greece are not the same as your schools ( I suppose you are from us) there you focus on practical exercise, cooperation in order to achieve a goal etc.. Here its mostly about theory LOTS of theory... especially the senior year people use to learn many sophisticated things which are similar (in level) with the first year in a pre graduate university...

Now for your link I thank you again, I am able to pass in a foreign university its easy usually (ok with a few exceptions like MIT etc) the only part that will be a little difficult is to learn the language..
You make some pretty bold statements there. How are you able to get into a foreign university easily and not make it into Greek ones? Physics isn't a field with an overflow of high school students wanting to get into, so I seriously doubt you need exceptional grades in all of the general subjects you listed. Unless, of course, Greece is an uncovered gem in the world of Physics, where there are millions studying it, all really smart, but then by some coincidence, you don't hear much from them after they're done for some reason.

I'm pretty sure if you nail Physics and Maths on your final exams, and get an average grade in other subjects, you'll get into a university in Greece. And if getting an average grade in those other subjects is hard, well then I think you have more serious problems on your hands, and should address those first. Because I'm not sure how you can seriously think someone can easily grasp the hardest concepts in Physics, but not get a grasp of trivial stuff, such as, say, literature. And like people have already mentioned, if you think you won't need that general stuff later in your life, you are blatantly mistaken. So get your act together and study the "boring" subjects, as well, and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere.

MIT's OpenCourseWare would be a good place to start. Watch all of Walter Lewin's lectures, starting here:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/

What is a physicist?

A physicist is a scientist who studies the natural world and the laws that govern it, using mathematical equations, experiments, and observations to understand the fundamental principles of matter, energy, space, and time.

What are the educational requirements to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, you typically need to earn a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a master's degree and a PhD in physics. Some positions may also require postdoctoral research and/or teaching experience.

What skills are necessary to become a physicist?

To be a successful physicist, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving, as well as excellent critical thinking, analytical, and communication skills. You should also be curious, creative, and persistent, with a passion for understanding how the world works.

What career opportunities are available for physicists?

Physicists can work in a variety of fields, including research and development, education, government, and industry. Some common job titles for physicists include research scientist, data scientist, engineering physicist, and professor. They may also work in fields such as space exploration, renewable energy, and medicine.

What are the current challenges and opportunities in the field of physics?

Some current challenges in physics include understanding dark matter and dark energy, developing a theory of quantum gravity, and finding ways to harness nuclear fusion as a sustainable energy source. Opportunities for physicists are also expanding in fields such as quantum computing, nanotechnology, and artificial intelligence.