I want to become interested in Physics

• Thread starter brainydoctor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: You cannot force yourself to LIKE something but you can acquire an interest in it.Why do you want to become interested in physics??Answering this question may make things easier for you. Find out what it is that will be your driving force.In summary, you are looking for ways to make Physics more interesting for you, but you are also having difficulty focusing on written text. You might try learning more about the subject and integrating it into your daily life.
brainydoctor
Hello,

I am new here, and I desperately want to become interested in Physics. I feel like I've tried everything. No book has helped, and I have great difficulty focusing on written text. I've looked to physics kits, but they are below my age range and I don't think that they would work for me. I just have no idea what to do, I really want to become interested in Physics, but I just have no idea how to do this, how to make Physics interesting for me.

Can someone please help me?

Thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't really force yourself to become interested in something..

Likes Thewindyfan
Keep trying, but if you truly feel like you've already tried everything you can, then it's just time to let it go. You can't force yourself to instantly enjoy something you're just not into in general.

Why do you want to become interested in physics??

micromass said:
Answering this question may make things easier for you. Find out what it is that will be your driving force.

Possibly find a way of integrating aspects of Physics into the things you already enjoy. You could try more of a kinesthetic approach, find ways to be more "hands on." From what you're saying this may make things a little easier for you, because not everyone is going to respond to books and notes. Maybe attempt to learn a little and go out and apply it to what you see or experience in your daily life.

brainydoctor said:
Hello,

I am new here, and I desperately want to become interested in Physics. I feel like I've tried everything. No book has helped, and I have great difficulty focusing on written text. I've looked to physics kits, but they are below my age range and I don't think that they would work for me. I just have no idea what to do, I really want to become interested in Physics, but I just have no idea how to do this, how to make Physics interesting for me.

Can someone please help me?

Thank you...
... and you might wish to learn to enjoy flavoring your tea with horseradish, but you do not like anything in your tea other than a little lemon or some honey.

You cannot force yourself to LIKE something but you can acquire an interest in it.

Last edited:
Likes Auto-Didact and Student100
micromass said:
zAbso said:
Answering this question may make things easier for you. Find out what it is that will be your driving force.
That's it. Curiosity. In the beginning wasn't light nor force nor word - nor a toy box. In the beginning was a question. One to get an answer to doesn't let you go until you'll have found it. (micromass can tell you since I've recently tortured him until I've found an answer to a misunderstanding I had myself.) It can or should I say should be an easy one like the famous: What makes things fall? Or: Why does current move a compass needle? From there you will be guided to several next questions and so on. My examples here have been the starting point of two famous theories in physics which nowadays every physicists know.

I have found that the way ideas are presented can dramatically affect one's level of interest.

Feynman was an inspirational communicator, take a look here, for example http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p018dvyg/horizon-19811982-9-the-pleasure-of-finding-things-out

I don't know what level of study you are at, but I have enjoyed some of the lectures by Walter Lewin, to be found on the MIT open courseware site.

Also, guidance from someone who has trodden the path before you can be invaluable in selecting good textbooks to study from, for example, in specific areas.

Good Luck !

brainydoctor said:
I am new here, and I desperately want to become interested in Physics.
Maybe this is just an unfortunate choice of words, but the implication here is that physics is NOT interesting to you at the moment. Why do you "desperately" want to become interested in this area of science? Peer pressure? New years' resolution?
[/quote]I really want to become interested in Physics, but I just have no idea how to do this, how to make Physics interesting for me.
brainydoctor said:
I would like to become interested in eating broccoli. I know it's good for me healthwise, but someshow it just doesn't interest me. (I eat it anyway, though.)

1. What is Physics?

Physics is a natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It is a fundamental branch of science that seeks to understand the laws and principles that govern the physical world around us.

2. Why should I be interested in Physics?

Physics is a fascinating subject that helps us understand the world around us. It explains the fundamental principles behind everyday phenomena and provides the foundation for many technological advancements. Studying physics can also improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the branches of Physics?

There are several branches of Physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, relativity, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics. Each branch focuses on specific areas of study, but they all contribute to our overall understanding of the physical world.

4. What skills do I need to develop to become interested in Physics?

To become interested in Physics, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. Additionally, curiosity, creativity, and a willingness to ask questions and explore new ideas are essential qualities for anyone interested in studying Physics.

5. How can I start learning about Physics?

There are many ways to start learning about Physics, including reading books, watching educational videos, attending lectures or workshops, and conducting experiments. It is also beneficial to join a Physics club or find a mentor who can guide you on your learning journey.