I want to build a small machine

In summary, this device is an air-breathing, self-replicating, locomotion device that must be capable of high-g acceleration and remain stationary on a surface at any spatial orientation. It is desired that it emit a buzzing sound.
KAckermann
Requirements:

• Between .5cm and 1cm large.
  • It must negotiate 3-D space in an air atmosphere.
  • It must be capable of autonomous existence.
  • It must be capable of high-g acceleration to rapidly start and stop.
  • It must be able to remain stationary on a surface at any spatial orientation.
  • It must self-replicate.
  • It must derive power from organics such as sugar and poop.
  • It must be able to detect and evade moving objects.
  • It must exhibit a preference to orbit the heads of humans.
  • It is desirable that it emit a general buzzing sound. The louder the better.

Use:
There may be broader applications for this device, but the primary use is as a response to the following scenario:

If you are invited to visit the Large Hadron Collider, and some scientist there starts bragging about the colossal scientific instruments they have, a devastating response would be to open up a matchbox and say, "Oh yeah? Got one of these?", and let the machine leave the matchbox and hopefully begin buzzing orbits around the bragging scientist's head.

Budget is tight.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.infovisual.info/02/img_en/040%20Morphology%20of%20a%20fly%20(lateral).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha at both. I love your response Root.

Perfect! How much for this... fly?

KAckermann said:
Perfect! How much for this... fly?

It depends on what options you want. Hind legs are extra

Is there a point to this thread?

Beyond levity, you mean?

Cyrus, let them have fun, lol, nobody's going to die, I promise.

<i>Is there a point to this thread?</i>

Yes, there is. How far are we away from building such a thing?

Try google.

I would contend we are not significantly closer to engineering a fly than we were 25 years ago. Or 250 years ago, for that matter.

I always get leery when mentioning this, but the things that can be done with a $4.00 microcontroller these days are frightening. I was cringing during the Iraq war that we would start to see autonomous M-50 machine guns on rooftops that could target the whup-whup of helicopters. Something like that would make close-air support quite difficult.

Asymetrical can mean many things. One of these days, one of our UAV's will be responding to alternate commands, and those commands might be coming from a curious and resourceful 15-year-old kid.

*This Machine is Alive! Microscopic Motor Runs on Microbes*

How small do you want to go??

http://www.livescience.com/common/media/video/player.php?videoRef=TinyDriver

http://www.livescience.com/technology/060828_micrbobe_motor.html

Need a microscopic chain drive??

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_/ai_83477555

Last edited:

1. How do I determine the purpose of my small machine?

The first step in building a small machine is to clearly define its purpose. This will help guide the design process and ensure that the machine meets your specific needs and goals.

2. Do I need any special tools or equipment to build a small machine?

The tools and equipment needed to build a small machine will depend on the complexity of the machine and the materials used. Basic tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, and a drill may be necessary, but more advanced machines may require specialized tools.

3. How do I choose the right materials for my small machine?

The materials used in building a small machine should be carefully chosen based on their durability, strength, and compatibility with the machine's function. Consider factors such as weight, cost, and availability when selecting materials.

4. What safety precautions should I take when building a small machine?

Safety should always be a top priority when building any type of machine. Be sure to carefully read and follow all instructions and safety guidelines for any tools or equipment used. Wear appropriate protective gear and keep a clean and organized work area.

5. How can I test and troubleshoot my small machine?

Once your small machine is built, it is important to test it thoroughly and troubleshoot any issues that may arise. This may involve running various tests, making adjustments, and consulting with experts if needed. It is also important to regularly maintain and monitor the machine for optimal performance.