Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to find the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] in

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1
    I want to find the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] in some problem. To do this I make a change-of-variable,

[tex]\xi = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hslash}}x,[/tex]​

and compute the expectation value [tex]\langle \xi^2 \rangle[/tex] like this:

[tex]\langle \xi^2 \rangle = \int\xi^2\vert\psi(\xi)\vert^2d\xi.[/tex]​

Finally I change back to x:

[tex]\langle \xi^2 \rangle = \langle \frac{m\omega}{\hslash}x^2 \rangle = \frac{m\omega}{\hslash}\langle x^2 \rangle \Rightarrow \langle x^2 \rangle = \frac{\hslash}{m\omega}\langle \xi^2 \rangle.[/tex]​

I really can't see what is wrong here, but something is! I've tried it 10 times and I keep getting the wrong result.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Be carefull that your psi is still correctly normalized when expressed in xi !

cheers,
    Patrick.

4. Feb 13, 2005 #3
    Yep, that's it :D

Thank you very much! How do you spot these things right away?

5. Feb 13, 2005 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because I'm an expert :blushing:

An expert is someone who has made all possible and imaginable errors in a very small domain :rofl:

cheers,
    Patrick.

6. Feb 13, 2005 #5
    I see I'm on the right track, then... :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?