I want to find the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] in

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expectation value of x^2 in a problem by making a change-of-variable and computing the expectation value of xi^2. However, in order to correctly do so, it is important to ensure that the psi function is still properly normalized when expressed in xi. The expert summarizer also humorously notes that their expertise comes from making all possible errors in a small domain.
broegger
I want to find the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] in some problem. To do this I make a change-of-variable,

[tex]\xi = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hslash}}x,[/tex]​

and compute the expectation value [tex]\langle \xi^2 \rangle[/tex] like this:

[tex]\langle \xi^2 \rangle = \int\xi^2\vert\psi(\xi)\vert^2d\xi.[/tex]​

Finally I change back to x:

[tex]\langle \xi^2 \rangle = \langle \frac{m\omega}{\hslash}x^2 \rangle = \frac{m\omega}{\hslash}\langle x^2 \rangle \Rightarrow \langle x^2 \rangle = \frac{\hslash}{m\omega}\langle \xi^2 \rangle.[/tex]​

I really can't see what is wrong here, but something is! I've tried it 10 times and I keep getting the wrong result.

Physics news on Phys.org
broegger said:
[tex]\langle \xi^2 \rangle = \int\xi^2\vert\psi(\xi)\vert^2d\xi.[/tex]​

Be carefull that your psi is still correctly normalized when expressed in xi !

cheers,
Patrick.

Yep, that's it :D

Thank you very much! How do you spot these things right away?

broegger said:
Yep, that's it :D

Thank you very much! How do you spot these things right away?

Because I'm an expert :blushing:

An expert is someone who has made all possible and imaginable errors in a very small domain :rofl:

cheers,
Patrick.

I see I'm on the right track, then... :rofl:

What is the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex]?

The expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] is a mathematical concept used in statistics and probability theory. It represents the average value of the squared variable x in a given system or distribution.

Why is finding the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] important?

Finding the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] allows us to better understand the behavior of a system or distribution. It can help us make predictions and draw conclusions about the data we are studying.

How is the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] calculated?

The expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] is calculated by multiplying each possible value of x by its corresponding probability and then summing all of these products. This can also be expressed as the integral of x squared multiplied by the probability density function.

What are some common applications of the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex]?

The expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] is commonly used in physics, chemistry, and engineering to calculate the variance and standard deviation of a system. It is also used in finance and economics to analyze stock market trends and make predictions about future values.

Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex]?

Yes, there are some limitations and assumptions when using the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex]. It assumes that the data is normally distributed and that there are no significant outliers or extreme values. It also assumes that the data is independent and identically distributed.