1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to find the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] in

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1
    I want to find the expectation value [tex]\langle x^2 \rangle[/tex] in some problem. To do this I make a change-of-variable,

[tex]\xi = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hslash}}x,[/tex]​

and compute the expectation value [tex]\langle \xi^2 \rangle[/tex] like this:

[tex]\langle \xi^2 \rangle = \int\xi^2\vert\psi(\xi)\vert^2d\xi.[/tex]​

Finally I change back to x:

[tex]\langle \xi^2 \rangle = \langle \frac{m\omega}{\hslash}x^2 \rangle = \frac{m\omega}{\hslash}\langle x^2 \rangle \Rightarrow \langle x^2 \rangle = \frac{\hslash}{m\omega}\langle \xi^2 \rangle.[/tex]​

I really can't see what is wrong here, but something is! I've tried it 10 times and I keep getting the wrong result.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Be carefull that your psi is still correctly normalized when expressed in xi !

cheers,
    Patrick.

4. Feb 13, 2005 #3
    Yep, that's it :D

Thank you very much! How do you spot these things right away?

5. Feb 13, 2005 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because I'm an expert :blushing:

An expert is someone who has made all possible and imaginable errors in a very small domain :rofl:

cheers,
    Patrick.

6. Feb 13, 2005 #5
    I see I'm on the right track, then... :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?