Understanding Newton Force: Real World Examples

In summary: Please, see:https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/friction-coefficients-d_778.htmlTaking two of the values given in that link as example:If you could have a block of glass on a horizontal glass surface, you will need to exert a horizontal force approximately equal to the 68% of the block's weight to initiate a sliding movement, and about 53% to keep it sliding at constant speed.That's an interesting bit of info. The 'amount' of force is not a very useful quantity in a general dynamic situation. To get any idea of the situation, either the time that the force is applied for or the distance it's applied over is essential knowledge.
Luja
TL;DR Summary
Can someone help me get a better perspective on newtons
I would just like to get a perspective on how much is an x amount of Newtons, like in real world examples.
I know everyone says 100N is about equal to the force of a 10kg object being set on you, but this example really only gives perspective on downwards force.

For example I calculated the force that would be applied to your legs if you jump out of a plane, but I relised the result didn't give me a real perspective on how that would effect a human.

Maybe this is a somewhat uninteresting question but I would really like to understand the answers to my equations just a bit better

Physics news on Phys.org
Luja said:
Summary: Can someone help me get a better perspective on Newtons

I know everyone says 100N is about equal to the force of a 10kg object being set on you, but this example really only gives perspective on downwards force.
"everyone" making that statement would be having their sloppy hat on. 9.81 N/kg only applies for an object at rest and on Earth (+/- a bit, depending on where you are). That 9.81 N/kg would also be experienced in a space ship, in deep space, accelerating at 9.81m/s2. The two perceived forces are totally equivalent - there would be no way of distinguishing between them if the spacecraft had no windows.

The actual (perceived) force on your legs would depend on how fast. you were falling - starting with zero on exit. Also, you would not notice any force on your legs, once you were no longer standing in the aircraft. The aerodynamic forces, once you are falling, would be very hard to calculate because they would depend on the areas of your various bits - too hard for a swift calculation.

Likes Lnewqban
Welcome!
Could you give us examples of "feeling" or perspective on forces in situations other than the more common downwards force?

Lnewqban said:
Welcome!
Could you give us examples of "feeling" or perspective on forces in situations other than the more common downwards force?
I guess being punched would be the best example of a non-downwards force that people can feel. I think an average punch by an amateur boxer is around 700N if that helps in any way

Luja said:
I guess being punched would be the best example of a non-downwards force that people can feel. I think an average punch by an amateur boxer is around 700N if that helps in any way
And I just relised I may have given myself an answear to my own question, sorry for the waste of time

Luja said:
The punch introduces the collision factor, which can distort your "feeling" on the magnitude of the force.

I would recommend experimenting with pulling or pushing several objects on horizontal surfaces, about which you know the weight and static and kinematic coefficients of friction.

Please, see:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/friction-coefficients-d_778.html

Taking two of the values given in that link as example:
If you could have a block of glass on a horizontal glass surface, you will need to exert a horizontal force approximately equal to the 68% of the block's weight to initiate a sliding movement, and about 53% to keep it sliding at constant speed.

Luja said:
That's an interesting bit of info. The 'amount' of force is not a very useful quantity in a general dynamic situation. To get any idea of the situation, either the time that the force is applied for or the distance it's applied over is essential knowledge.
Any meter that's used to produce that "700N" value must be of a certain type and follow a particular specification that attempts to give a fair comparison between different boxers. Such a meter can be useful for giving a rough scale of Punch power but the results should be viewed carefully in other contexts.

1. What is Newton's force?

Newton's force, also known as Newton's second law of motion, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the less its acceleration will be.

2. How is Newton's force applied in real-world examples?

There are numerous examples of Newton's force in action in our daily lives. For instance, when we push a shopping cart, the force we apply causes it to accelerate. When we throw a ball, the force we exert on it causes it to move. When a car brakes suddenly, the passengers inside experience a force that causes them to lurch forward. These are all examples of Newton's force in action.

3. What is the formula for calculating Newton's force?

The formula for calculating Newton's force is F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This formula can be rearranged to calculate any of the three variables, given the other two.

4. How does Newton's force relate to other laws of motion?

Newton's force is part of a set of three laws known as Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law, as mentioned earlier, is the law of force and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. Why is understanding Newton's force important?

Understanding Newton's force is crucial because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of motion and how objects interact with each other. This knowledge is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and even everyday activities like driving a car or playing sports. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of objects, which is crucial in problem-solving and scientific research.