How can I effectively prepare for a career in physics as a high school student?

• Thread starter Poseidon Cow
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a young person's interest in becoming involved in physics at an early age. Suggestions are given to start with a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. The importance of learning these topics before diving into physics is emphasized. Popular science books are also mentioned as a way to get a general understanding of current theories in physics, but textbooks are recommended for a deeper understanding. The conversation concludes with a reminder to be patient and accumulate more experience before attempting to make a difference in the field of physics.
Poseidon Cow
I'm 16. I'm a sophomore in high school. I really don't want to wait. I want to become involved in physics now. Any suggestions on how I can get my feet wet?

Physics news on Phys.org
read some papers by einstein or feynman.

Start at the basics (these can't be skipped as much as some people want to believe). What level of mathematics do you understand? What physics courses do you have down? Oddly enough, the former is far more important than the latter at your stage.

Indeed, learn some mathematics first. Teach yourself some trigonometry/analytic geometry/calculus. If you're already learning these in class, then maybe consider teaching yourself some complements: for example, you could learn sphere trigonometry, 3D geometry, polar coordinates, projective geometry, linear algebra,...

If you know trigonometry, geometry and calculus, only then can you start doing physics. Of course, you can do physics without knowing these topics. But I found that to be very boring, and I wouldn't recommend that to anybody!

I'm taking physics 1 next year. I know high school algebra (we're learning about logs right now in class) and I'm going into pre calc next year.

I'm reading Brian Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos right now to figure out what the current theories are all about and how they've developed.

Where should i start if I attempt to teach myself higher order math?

Improve your problem solving ability at your current mathematical level instead of jumping into calculus.

Get books on math, and work on your math.

Start low. Start with Spivak Book on Calculus.

Try Quantum Field theory by weinberg . Its an easy read

Last edited:
Start low. Start with Spivak Book on Calculus.

This is really not 'starting low'. I'd pick up Stewart instead of Spivak. But not yet. Solidify your algebra and trigonometry before you hit up physics. Sorry, but them's the breaks. You're going to have to wait at least another four years or so before you can even think about 'getting your feet wet'.

zahero_2007 said:

This is clearly a joke.

Anyways, try MIT's OpenCourseWare:

Mathematics: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/
Physics: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/

It's what I'm using right now because Physics without calculus is boring and non-intuitive i.e. high schools need to stop dumbing things down and need to get into the details.

EDIT: As Angry_Citizen stated, it's very difficult for someone of your age and knowledge to make a difference in any field in physics right now. The people doing research have a tremendous amount of knowledge and understanding of the subject area where as you probably haven't even solved a basic kinematics problem. Take your time, learn as much as you can and you'll get there eventually.

Poseidon Cow said:
I'm taking physics 1 next year. I know high school algebra (we're learning about logs right now in class) and I'm going into pre calc next year.

I'm reading Brian Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos right now to figure out what the current theories are all about and how they've developed.

Where should i start if I attempt to teach myself higher order math?

I just realized your name is hilarious.

Anyhow, go through pre-calc, trig, geometry, and then start your calculus. The biggest problem, even for people at the university level, is that they don't realize how solid of a foundation in algebra you need to be successful in more advanced mathematics. Know your geometry and trigonometry as well. If I had to rank them, I'd say know our algebra above all else, then trig, then geometry. Know how to do them well, do lots and lots of problems, and from there physics will flow naturally (to a point).

Reading those popular physics books is fine... but just remember that none of that stuff is really day-to-day physics. They're very much dumbed down and only introduce you to the vague ideas about various areas in physics. However, if you go into those books thinking you'll get a good idea about what's "cool" and exciting about physics, then you'll do a good job at that. If you want to know HOW to do physics, then you have to stick with textbooks and all that good stuff. And really, physics isn't fun without knowing both the day-to-day stuff and the super cool ideas that the popular science books tell you about.

micromass said:
Indeed, learn some mathematics first. Teach yourself some trigonometry/analytic geometry/calculus. If you're already learning these in class, then maybe consider teaching yourself some complements: for example, you could learn sphere trigonometry, 3D geometry, polar coordinates, projective geometry, linear algebra

Speak English.

zahero_2007 said:

Stop that.

Pengwuino said:
Speak English.

What do you mean by "speak English"?

romsofia said:
What do you mean by "speak English"?

He probably considers projective geometry to be useless, which it is...

micromass said:

Oh, I thought he was implying they were the same thing

micromass said:

I don't even know what the heck it is.

And upon googling it, it IS something I know of, which high schoolers don't need to know and will never encounter the term so why are you even mentioning it? Why not tell him to learn group theory or category theory? I should punch you.

Maybe I should just start working on a unified theory of everything.. harhar

I guess I'm just going to have to be patient and accumulate more experience

Poseidon Cow said:
Maybe I should just start working on a unified theory of everything.. harhar

I guess I'm just going to have to be patient and accumulate more experience

I know it's hard. It's all so interesting, and there is a push in smart young people to rush ahead and learn it all as fast as possible.

But remember, it's not good if your claim to fame is that you're the youngest student in the class, but your work is just mediocre. Take a bit of time, learn the basics *very well* and perhaps someday you'll be not the youngest in the class, but the top-scorer.

1. What do I need to do to get started?

To get started, you first need to determine what field you want to work in and what specific research you want to conduct. Then, you will need to familiarize yourself with the current literature and theories related to your topic. Finally, you will need to identify the necessary tools, equipment, and resources needed to conduct your research.

2. How do I develop a research question or hypothesis?

Developing a research question or hypothesis involves identifying a gap in the existing knowledge or a problem that needs to be addressed. Consider what interests you, what questions you have about a particular topic, and what potential solutions you can propose. Then, refine your question or hypothesis to make it specific, measurable, and achievable.

3. Can I conduct research without a lab or specialized equipment?

Yes, there are many types of research that can be conducted without a lab or specialized equipment. For example, you can conduct literature reviews, surveys, or field studies. You can also collaborate with other researchers or utilize shared resources to access necessary equipment.

4. How do I find funding for my research?

There are various funding opportunities available for scientists, such as grants, scholarships, and research fellowships. You can search for funding opportunities through government agencies, private organizations, and universities. It is also helpful to network with other researchers and attend conferences to learn about potential funding sources.

5. What are the ethical considerations when conducting research?

Ethical considerations are important in all types of research. You should ensure that your research adheres to ethical principles and guidelines, such as informed consent, confidentiality, and avoiding harm to participants. It is also essential to consider the potential impact of your research on society and to follow any regulations or laws in your field.