Applying to MIT from Mexico: Advice and Resources

• Thread starter Frigorifico
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit
In summary, the individual is currently studying physics at "Tecnológico de Monterrey" in Mexico but is considering transferring to another university, possibly MIT. However, they are unsure about their chances of getting accepted and are open to other suggestions for universities to study physics. They also mention issues with their current university lying about their scholarship and are considering other options for higher education.
Frigorifico
I am currently studying physics at "Tecnológico de Monterrey", a university in México, which is a good university, and not just for mexican standards, which aren't lower than any others but that's not the point.
The point is that in the university they are lying to me regarding my scholarship, I don't want to go into details but for this reason I want to go to other university. The MIT seems to be a very good university and I am confident I have the level to study there, but i don't know anyone who has studied there, so if any of you have I would like your advice.

Also, I have not completed 2.5 years of college which is a requirement to be accepted at MIT (I will complete 1.5 in August).
Also if any of you knows where can I do the SAT exams I would be very glad, because in my city it is not possible.

Thank you all

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have good reasons to change university, I guess that's okay. However, I think that putting all your hopes on getting into the MIT is a bad idea because I believe it's very hard to get accepted there (especially for undergraduate studies).

My point is that sure you can apply to the MIT, but do apply to other less competitive universities as well so that you have a much better chance of going to another university.

Likes 1 person
I agree with Vahsek - it's a mistake to pin your hopes on one university. The freshman admit rate for international students is 2.6%. Typically, four students from Mexico are admitted per year. For transfer students the rate varies, but it is around half the freshman rate.

Oh, and how is it that you were in high school in December and January and now have been in college for a year and a half?

"colegio" is the spanish word for high school, possible mistranslation.

Likes 1 person
Hercuflea said:

Can confirm this as a speak of Spanish. Also, for taking the SAT I would contact your regional College Board office. Also, you will probably have to take the TOEFL. There are also other good American universities BTW other than MIT, pretty much the best public university in each state is a good bet.

Tec de Monterrey is a university though - 1.5 years is enough to transfer to an American university, I think. In any case, why are you so sure that you're going to be admitted to MIT? Have you topped Mexico in any significant academic competitions such as olympiads or high school leaving exams? Do you have multiple papers in line to be published? These are typical accomplishments of many of the international students I know who attend MIT/similarly competitive institutions, and I know many others who've also been rejected with these credentials.

Hercuflea said:

Then he should apply as a freshman, not as a transfer.

Likes 1 person
Tec de Monterrey is an excellent school. I would strongly consider staying there for the BS and then going to a US school for graduate work.

Likes 2 people
It has a really great engineering program. My teacher went there and he said it was his best experience. I woulf stay there and go for graduate work in the states as other poster suggested

Thanks you all. Yes I will apply for other universities besides MIT. Can you suggest me god universities for studying physics not just in the states?. I speak spanish, english and some german (ich kan alles verstehe aber nicht so gut sprechen).

Now, if you care, the reason I want to leave the Tecnológico de Monterrey:
I can only complete the physics engineering studies in the Monterrey's campus (I am in another city's campus) and they told me that, beginning the August-December semester of 2014 I could go to the Monterrey's campus with my whole scholarship, they even assured me that in an official email. But now they say they can only give as much as 40% scholarship (currently I have 70%). I showed them the email where they told me I could keep my whole scholarship, but they replied the same answer almost like a recording. I may solve this situation but I may not, so I want to go to other university that appreciates me, and my efforts, more.

Frigorifico said:
Thanks you all. Yes I will apply for other universities besides MIT. Can you suggest me god universities for studying physics not just in the states?. I speak spanish, english and some german (ich kan alles verstehe aber nicht so gut sprechen).

Now, if you care, the reason I want to leave the Tecnológico de Monterrey:
I can only complete the physics engineering studies in the Monterrey's campus (I am in another city's campus) and they told me that, beginning the August-December semester of 2014 I could go to the Monterrey's campus with my whole scholarship, they even assured me that in an official email. But now they say they can only give as much as 40% scholarship (currently I have 70%). I showed them the email where they told me I could keep my whole scholarship, but they replied the same answer almost like a recording. I may solve this situation but I may not, so I want to go to other university that appreciates me, and my efforts, more.

Is money the problem then? In that case, why not UNAM? It's virtually free...

Likes 1 person
Well, since in this thread I have read TWO universities I am interested in... (Tec Monterrey and UNAM)

does anyone know anything or can someone give me an opinion on studying Physics or Engineering Physics in UABC??
(Baja California)

As said above - MIT is extremely extremely extremely hard to get into. If you don't get in, don't take it personally. By all means, apply - but don't frown on yourself if you don't get in.

Here are a few other great US schools that you could look at. UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UT Austin, Michigan, Yale, Princeton, Georgia Tech. This is by no means a complete list - just a few ideas. There are many others I haven't named.

What are the requirements for international students to apply to MIT?

The requirements for international students to apply to MIT include: submitting the online application, providing official transcripts, submitting standardized test scores (SAT or ACT), submitting two teacher evaluations, submitting an academic letter of recommendation, submitting an essay, and demonstrating proficiency in English.

Are there any specific resources or programs available for Mexican students applying to MIT?

Yes, there are specific resources and programs available for Mexican students applying to MIT. The MIT International Students Office offers support and resources for international students, including a dedicated International Students Counselor for students from Mexico. Additionally, there are organizations and programs such as the MIT Mexican Student Association and the MIT-Mexico Program that offer resources and support for Mexican students.

What is the application process like for Mexican students applying to MIT?

The application process for Mexican students applying to MIT is similar to that of other international students. It involves submitting an online application, providing required documents and test scores, and completing an interview (if selected). However, Mexican students may also be required to submit additional documents such as a financial certification form and a student visa application.

Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for Mexican students applying to MIT?

Yes, there are scholarships and financial aid available for Mexican students applying to MIT. The Institute offers need-based financial aid to international students, which can cover up to full tuition and fees. Additionally, there are external scholarships and grants available specifically for Mexican students, such as the Fundación Telmex Scholarship, which can cover full tuition and living expenses at MIT.

What advice would you give to Mexican students applying to MIT?

My advice to Mexican students applying to MIT would be to focus on showcasing your unique experiences, strengths, and passions in your application. Be sure to highlight any leadership roles, research projects, or extracurricular activities that demonstrate your potential to succeed at MIT. It is also important to start the application process early and seek help and guidance from mentors, teachers, and organizations that support Mexican students in their journey to MIT.