Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to kill myself right now.

1. Dec 16, 2005 #1
    Just missed my Calc exam because I got the wrong date. Instead of going by the university block schedule for exams my teacher set her own time, which isn't illegal. But since I didn't go to class for the last week (which was just review) I was unaware of this. Now unless my teacher is willing to overlook my stupidity I will fail the class. Right now I'm waiting for her to email be back. I really want to kill myself right now, because if I don't I know my parents will when they find out.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Killing oneself is a bit extreme given the circumstance. If you get to do the exam, then do well. If not, learn and move on.

I missed a lab final one time for the same reason - I didn't go to the one class when the date was announced - and I bombed. Thirty years later, I have a very interesting, fun and fulfulling job - not to mention the fact that I get to hang out at PF.

Never let failure stop you - just keep moving forward!

4. Dec 16, 2005 #3

Evo

Just a bit of creative editing. :biggrin:

Entropy, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

5. Dec 16, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It isn't the end, Entropy!

look at me:
    I never missed an exam in my life, and now I'm hanging about at PF, just like Astronuc and Evo

6. Dec 16, 2005 #5
    Look into your options:

First and formost, as you're probably already doing, talk with your professor and be as honest as possible. Professors can be surprisingly reasonable when they are dealing with a single (concerned) student rather than a huge room of uninterested bumpkins. After all, they were college students once and more likely than not, they'll be able to at least sympathize with your situation.

If your professor refuses to give you the exam, go to your registrar and see if it's possible that you retake the course next semester to replace your grade. Since you'll already know the material, it won't be too much of a burden outside of going to class and exams.

The bottom line is that no matter what grade you get or GPA you end up with, don't dwell on your "failings". Being a college student isn't easy and not all college students are equally stressed. Remember- you're studying something that you hopefully enjoy and desire learning. And despite everything that your grades can't say about you, you're able to accomplish your GPA and eventually, your degree. You'll see - just wait a few semesters and you'll realize that there are so many meaningful ways to measure your experience in college, and GPA is the worst.

7. Dec 16, 2005 #6
    Same thing happened to me with a lab final this year, and believe me I freaked! Luckily for me it worked out and I got to write a deferred exam, I hope it ends up ok for you to.

8. Dec 16, 2005 #7
    I hope all turns out well for you.:smile:

*Has no advice*:rofl:

9. Dec 16, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, calm down. You already know the worst case scenario, and it's certainly survivable (you'll probably be able to retake the class at the worst). More likely, your instructor will be more understanding, especially if the time for the exam wasn't announced until the very last week of classes. Just be prepared to be flexible about the time you are willing to take a make-up exam. If she says to show up at 7:30 AM tomorrow morning and take it as an oral exam, do it. This will show her it was an honest mistake and you're willing to do whatever works best to make up for it, and that it's not that you just wanted more time to study, or whatever other weasely reasons some students come up with to try to get a later exam time. If you haven't heard a response yet, try calling her office and leaving a voice message too (if she isn't there to answer in person). It's a lot harder to be unsympathetic to the sound of a voice cracking on the phone with fear and panic compared to the unemotional email messages.

Winter finals hit right during cold and flu season too, so she may already need to offer a few make-up exams to students who were sick the day of the final, so you may be able to just take the exam with them.

And, no, your parents won't kill you either. They've put too much effort into raising you as old as you are, they aren't going to get rid of you now. :smile: Don't wait for the report card to come out though. Call them tonight and let them know what's going on. You might find they're more sympathetic than you expect and it might help you relax to talk to them and at least get that part of your worries off your chest. Parents can tell when their kid is really upset over something, and every kid screws up big time at least once in their life, so they're probably going to figure that as long as you're not calling for bail money, they're still ahead of the game, and lend a sympathetic ear.

10. Dec 16, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

It isn't the end, Entropy!
    look at me:
    I never taken an exam in my life, and now I'm hanging about at PF, just like Astronuc and Evo :biggrin:

11. Dec 16, 2005 #10
    As a former college student, I completely understand your situation.

As a parent, I can assure you that if my child explained the situation I would be completely fine with it and supportive.

If my kid killed themself on the other hand, I would be pretty pissed off. For a long time.

Tell your folks, maybe even right away, and they may even be able/willing to help you convince the prof. to give you another exam. I bet your parents even skipped a few classes when they were in school. (I mean, I'm sure mine never did, but I'm sure they never kissed or had sex, either. They were saints.)

12. Dec 16, 2005 #11
    I overslept a final exam once, everything worked out. Talk to the professor.

13. Dec 16, 2005 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once overslept an exam, but then I slept over with the professor. Everything worked out fine. :wink:

14. Dec 16, 2005 #13
    Still no reply from my teacher, this really sucks because I'm supposed to leave town tommarrow. Hopefully, she isn't leaving town either like a lot of my other professors are doing.

15. Dec 16, 2005 #14

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your second mistake was using email instead of going directly to her office or dialing her up on the phone. (Your first was missing classes during the week leading to the final.)

Don't make a third one by hiding it from your parents - they could be big supporters if you open up to them.

16. Dec 16, 2005 #15
    Her office hours are over for the day (they were over before I realized the exam date was wrong) and she has no listed phone number that I can find.

My mom already knows, but not my dad.

17. Dec 16, 2005 #16
    Is there any sort of general services in you faculty that you could go to and get advice on what to do? You might even be able to get a contact number for your prof from them.

18. Dec 16, 2005 #17

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

do not expect your teacher to email you. go see the teacher. you are still goffing off by just emailing her.
    but face it, you didn't really put any effort into the course. next time be more responsible. if you want better results that is. but do not end yourself, you might have some fun this weekend anyway, and that would be a shame to miss out on.
    or your granchildren would miss you a lot. (and your folks), and so would we.
    merry xmas. lighten up.

19. Dec 16, 2005 #18

Evo

Don't give up hope that your teacher won't let you make it up. She may just be taking some time off for the holiday. I know that doesn't lower your stress level.

I know your dad takes things a bit too seriously. Do you have to go home for the holidays? Will you be able to keep this from him until you know if you can make it up?

20. Dec 16, 2005 #19
    i guess you're joking just like me when i had an en exam. i don't think your cal. exam is the most important thing in your life. later you'll laugh at what you're saying.

21. Dec 17, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Office hours aren't the only time profs are in their offices, but she might not be checking email regularly if she's sitting there grading exams. If you can't reach your prof directly, call the department office. The secretary there will know how to reach her or pass along the message.

In the future, if something is important enough to handle very quickly, call or stop by in person rather than use email.

I'm glad you've at least told your mom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?