Plotting Reaction Rate vs Temperature with MATLAB

In summary, you can get fusion cross section plots from the exfor website, but you need to integrate them using MATLAB.
Rhony
TL;DR Summary
I know how to get fusion cross section plots from the exfor website but now I need to plot the reaction rate as a function of temperature. According to the image, I have sigma and E values as x and y data. How do I integrate using matlab .
I know how to get fusion cross section plots from the exfor website but now I need to plot the reaction rate as a function of temperature. According to the image, I have sigma and E values as x and y data. How do I integrate using MATLAB .

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 142
Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem this is a MATLAB numerical integration problem.

So one has a nuclear (nuclei) energy spectrum, and I assume T is the average temperature (related to <E>) of the nuclei in the plasma. Is this correct?

Yes that's correct. I had got pb11 cross section data points from exfor. Now using maxwellian conditions, I wanted to use those to plot reaction rate. Its done in many textbooks where the explain the difference between cross section and reaction rate, but they never mention the steps followed.

Do you have a plot of the cross sections, or a table of the cross section values? You will need the table of values.
If you only have the plot, check the website again to see if there is a way to download the raw data.

Next, check to see if the cross sections are evaluated at "E", are are they differential cross sections as a function of E? (sigma(E)). I've seen it both ways.
If they are not differential cross sections, you will need to divide the cross section by the appropriate "delta-E" to put it in differential form.

Now you have:
  • Values of sigma(E)
  • T is a constant value
  • You can evaluate E*exp()
It is just a matter of performing the numerical integration.

rpp said:
Do you have a plot of the cross sections, or a table of the cross section values? You will need the table of values.
If you only have the plot, check the website again to see if there is a way to download the raw data.

Next, check to see if the cross sections are evaluated at "E", are are they differential cross sections as a function of E? (sigma(E)). I've seen it both ways.
If they are not differential cross sections, you will need to divide the cross section by the appropriate "delta-E" to put it in differential form.

Now you have:
  • Values of sigma(E)
  • T is a constant value
  • You can evaluate E*exp()
It is just a matter of performing the numerical integration.
I just realized my last post was incorrect, and I don't see a way to edit it. The cross sections are always going to be evaluated at "E", you should never have to divide by "delta-E". It is the flux that can be a function of E. Sorry for the confusion.

Mentors: is there a way to edit my previous post?

1. How do I plot reaction rate vs temperature using MATLAB?

To plot reaction rate vs temperature using MATLAB, you will first need to import your data into the program. Then, you can use the "plot" function to create a line plot of the reaction rate data with temperature on the x-axis. You can also use the "scatter" function to create a scatter plot if you prefer.

2. What type of data do I need to plot reaction rate vs temperature in MATLAB?

In order to plot reaction rate vs temperature in MATLAB, you will need to have a set of data that includes both the reaction rate and the corresponding temperature values. This data can be in the form of a table, matrix, or vectors.

3. How do I add labels to my reaction rate vs temperature plot in MATLAB?

To add labels to your plot in MATLAB, you can use the "xlabel" and "ylabel" functions to specify the labels for the x-axis and y-axis, respectively. You can also use the "title" function to add a title to your plot.

4. Can I change the color or style of my reaction rate vs temperature plot in MATLAB?

Yes, you can change the color and style of your plot in MATLAB. You can use the "color" argument in the "plot" or "scatter" function to specify the color of the line or points. You can also use the "linestyle" argument to change the style of the line in a line plot.

5. How can I analyze the trend in my reaction rate vs temperature plot in MATLAB?

In order to analyze the trend in your plot, you can use the "polyfit" function to fit a polynomial curve to your data points. You can also use the "corrcoef" function to calculate the correlation coefficient between the reaction rate and temperature values, which can indicate the strength and direction of the relationship between the two variables.