Mastering Differential Equations: A Comprehensive Guide to Intermediate Steps

• Thread starter plutoisacomet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the conversation is about learning differential equations and finding resources for it. The participants recommend books such as "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Tenenbaum and Pollard, as well as "V'Arnold" for theory. They also suggest free online resources like the MIT OpenCourseWare and Physics Forums tutorials. The conversation ends with a positive affirmation of the MIT site.
plutoisacomet
Hello guys, I want to learn diff eq but I seem to not be seeing many of the intermediate steps. Is there a guide or tutorial that gives one a good intro to diff eq with all the intermediate steps?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
tenenbaum and pollard's "Ordinary Differential Equations" is pretty much the bible for everything diff eq.

you can buy it off amazon for less than $10 i think.

amazon reviews says its more application than theory, what's a good theory book?

Thanks guys

a good theory book is V'Arnold.

Check out this link...it's free and you can do it online.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-03Spring-2006/CourseHome/index.htm

Thanks again for the additional links.
That MIT site is "off the chain". LOL

plutoisacomet said:
That MIT site is "off the chain". LOL

I hope that means good.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It involves the independent variable, the function, and its derivatives in a single equation.

2. Why is it important to learn differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are essential in understanding and predicting natural phenomena and technological processes.

3. What is the best way to learn differential equations?

The best way to learn differential equations is through practice. Start by understanding the basic concepts and techniques, then solve a variety of problems to build your skills. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

4. What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and analyze various phenomena, including population growth, chemical reactions, motion of objects, and electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as economics, neuroscience, and ecology.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in differential equations?

To improve your problem-solving skills in differential equations, practice solving different types of problems and seek feedback from a teacher or tutor. It is also helpful to study and understand the different techniques and methods used to solve differential equations.