I want to learn how to do burn up calculations for reactor

In summary: So, to summarize:You want a guide to help you do burnup calculations.You have been studying the subject, but you need a guide. Can you show us what you have found so far? What level of detail do you need? What kind of system do you need?
Potter
Please I need a guide on how to do burn up calculations for spent fuel from the basics.I have being studying on it but I need a guide

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Potter said:
I have being studying on it but I need a guide
Can you show us what you have found so far?

Also, your Profile page says you have a Master's degree -- is it in Nuclear Engineering?

What exactly are you trying to do?
Are you interested in programming and solving the equations yourself?
Are you running a lattice code and doing burnup calculations for fuel management? (what kind of reactor)
Or are you trying to run an ORIGEN type of calculation and looking at heat loads, doses, etc.?

Likes berkeman
Adding to queries from berkeman and rpp, what kind of resolution does one need? For example, one can calculate burnup for the entire core (core average burnup), on a group (e.g., batch) of fuel assemblies (batch average burnup), on individual assemblies (assembly average burnup), individual fuel rods (rod average burnup), the pellet (usually peak pellet, or pellet average), and down to the grain level (one needs a radial burnup profile, which is a function of pellet average burnup)

What does one mean by basics?

The level of detail depends on the goal of calculations, e.g., radiation shield design, or licensing level, or dose consequence in an accidental release, . . . . The level of detail also dictates the computational system, which can vary from a simple equation, such as

Burnup = (Thermal Power x Time)/(Mass of fuel), where the power could be in GW or MW, the time in seconds, hours, or days, and mass in kg or metric tonnes of U, HM (heavy metal), or UO2, or whatever form the fuel happens to be. Otherwise, we can describe in terms of percent of initial metal atoms that have been fissioned (fima).

In many countries, GWd/MTU or MWd/kgU, is a common unit for commercial fuel. Some countries, particular those with MOX fuel, may refer to GWd/MTHM or MWd/kgHM, where HM refers to U, Pu, Th, or whatever actinide is being used in the fuel material.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1) What are burn up calculations for reactors?

Burn up calculations for reactors are a method used to determine the amount of fuel that has been consumed in a nuclear reactor over a certain period of time. This information is important for monitoring the efficiency and safety of the reactor, as well as for planning future fuel replacements.

2) Why is it important to learn how to do burn up calculations for reactors?

It is important to learn how to do burn up calculations for reactors because it allows scientists to accurately track the fuel usage in a nuclear reactor. This information is crucial for maintaining the safe and efficient operation of the reactor, as well as for predicting when fuel replacements will be needed.

3) What factors are involved in burn up calculations for reactors?

Burn up calculations for reactors take into account various factors such as the initial fuel mass, the reactor's power output, and the length of time the reactor has been in operation. Other factors, such as the type of fuel and any fuel burnable absorbers present, may also be considered.

4) How are burn up calculations for reactors typically performed?

Burn up calculations for reactors are typically performed using computer programs and specialized software. These programs use mathematical algorithms to model the behavior of nuclear fuel in a reactor and calculate the burn up rate.

5) What are the limitations of burn up calculations for reactors?

While burn up calculations are a useful tool for monitoring fuel usage in a reactor, they are not always completely accurate. Factors such as fuel cladding damage and fuel depletion due to fission products can affect the results. Additionally, these calculations may not accurately predict fuel behavior in extreme conditions or during accidents.