Learn Physics: A Beginner Guide for 23 Yr Old

• Thread starter laymanhobbist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for resources to learn about physics and cosmology. Suggestions include books by John Gribben, Joseph Silk, and Steve Weinberg, as well as Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics textbook. It is also noted that learning physics and learning about physics are two different things and that a strong math background is necessary. Other resources mentioned include the Schaum's Outline Series and Raymond A. Serway's Physics book.
laymanhobbist
am 23 , i love cosmology ..

so i decided to learn physics for the fun of it ... can someone point me in the right direction .. :)

where do i start ... ? i am a beginner (noob) compared to you elites !

Physics news on Phys.org
At the beginner level anything by John Gribben is pretty good.
Then there are books written by working cosmologists - Joseph Silk and Steve Weinberg spring to mind.

Search through the cosmnology forum https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69 for some book recomendations

Er... learning physics and learning ABOUT physics are two entirely different things.

If you want to learn physics, you have to learn from the exact same texts that other physics majors learn from, and that means starting with an undergraduate intro physics texts such as Halliday and Resnick.

Zz.

If you do not have the necessary math background (calculus, calculus, calculus), a college text might be overwhelming. I recommend the excellent Conceptual Physics texbook, either the high school or college version, by Paul Hewitt. The elementary basics are explained in straightforward language. The mathematical proportionalities are introduced and applied, but the "difficult" math is not done.

speaking of physics, where does one start when a physics text starts talking about U(1) and SU(2) and symmetries and groups and gauges, etc?

is this a good place to start, or is there a group theory for dummies?
http://www.cns.gatech.edu/GroupTheory/index.html

thank you comrades...
peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Proton Soup said:
speaking of physics, where does one start when a physics text starts talking about U(1) and SU(2) and symmetries and groups and gauges, etc?

is this a good place to start, or is there a group theory for dummies?
http://www.cns.gatech.edu/GroupTheory/index.html
Schaum's Outline Series, Baumslag & Chandler.

I'll give my standard post for those interested in intro cosmology: Big Bang by Simon Singh.

Gokul43201 said:
Schaum's Outline Series, Baumslag & Chandler.

grazie

Raymond A. Serway - Physics (we used it in first year varsity during my engineering degree) It starts right at things like statics and dynamics, goes through pressure, a bit of fluids, surface tension and all the way to an introductory into quantum mech and other interesting topics. It's a hetfy book, but I have kept mine always and hope to pass it on to the next gen of engineers :wink:

What is physics?

Physics is the natural science that studies matter, energy, and their interactions. It is concerned with understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world.

Why is it important to learn physics?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the world around us and how it works. It is the basis for many other sciences and technologies, and it allows us to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

What are some basic concepts in physics?

Some basic concepts in physics include motion, forces, energy, and matter. These concepts are interconnected and form the foundation for understanding more complex phenomena.

What skills do I need to learn physics?

To learn physics, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and curiosity. It also helps to have good observation and experimental skills.

How can I apply physics in my daily life?

Physics has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as understanding how machines work, predicting the weather, and designing technology. It can also help us make informed decisions about energy usage and environmental issues.