Learn Physics: Tips for 14-Year-Olds

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is 14 years old and is interested in learning physics but faces two main problems: not being able to get into an accelerated class due to not completing math and science homework, and not planning on pursuing a physics-related career. The conversation suggests that the individual should start by reading the book "Thinking Physics" and potentially exploring geometry online. However, it is emphasized that learning math and actively doing homework is crucial for understanding physics. It is also mentioned that physics requires a strong grasp of math and is not just about concepts.
Stratosphere
I want to learn physics but here are the problems: I am only 14(almost 15) and i never did my math homework or science either so i can't get into an accelerated class(i can do the work in the higher classes thoguh, I am smarter than all the other kids)the second problem is i don't plan on going to collage because physics isn't my what I am into the most so i don't want to make a career out of it, so what do i do abought it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stratosphere said:
I want to learn physics but here are the problems: I am only 14(almost 15) and i never did my math homework or science either so i can't get into an accelerated class(i can do the work in the higher classes thoguh, I am smarter than all the other kids)the second problem is i don't plan on going to collage because physics isn't my what I am into the most so i don't want to make a career out of it, so what do i do abought it?

Maybe start with this book, "Thinking Physics"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218068/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's pretty cheap in the paperback edition, and it's a fun and interesting intro to Physics, targeted at about your age level, with lots of practical things to try out. I bought a copy for my 14/15 year old son for Xmas.

Anything for free? i downloaded some other books in pdf but there too hard i don't know geometry or trigonometry or clacules(i know i miss spelled that)

Edit: I did Learn a lot abought physics and astronomy, its not like i don't have a clue abought it.

berkeman said:
Maybe start with this book, "Thinking Physics"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218068/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's pretty cheap in the paperback edition, and it's a fun and interesting intro to Physics, targeted at about your age level, with lots of practical things to try out. I bought a copy for my 14/15 year old son for Xmas.

I second that, great book. Tell your parents to buy it for you or get it from the library.

Is it possible to leanr geometry online? i take geometry next year but i want to see if I can leanr it now so i can start to read some of those books i downloaded.

At fourteen it's too early to know what you want as a career or even what you plan on studying beyond high school (if anything), but you should be encouraged to explore your interests. If you're really interested in physics, I would suggest that you talk to a guidance councilor at your school and see if you can get into the class that you want to take.

Secondly, it's never too late to change your study habits. If you really plan on learning physics - there's a lot of homework involved.

i don't mide doing homework the only reason i never did it before was because it was too easy.

Stratosphere said:
i don't mide doing homework the only reason i never did it before was because it was too easy.

If/when you go to college, it won't be.

So as i asked beofre, is there a way I can learn geomerty without waiting for next years math class?

Stratosphere said:
So as i asked beofre, is there a way I can learn geomerty without waiting for next years math class?

how are your algebra skills?

sorry this bothered me "about"

Your perception of physics seems off. Judging by your current math level I would assume whatever physics class you took was tailored to your level. This certainly won't be the case in college. Anyway, don't let your early exposure stear you away from physics as your perception of it will undoubtably change. For the better or the worse, I cannot say.

As for learning geometry. If you didn't have trouble with algebra I would assume you will do fine in geometry. There are many online lectures you could view to supplement your text if you have one. You could inquire into which text you will be using next year and use that. Although if your math cirriculum is like mine was until you take precalculus you may be using several small soft bound books throughout the year, none of which are organized like a textbook. With physicsforum, textbooks, lectures, the internet, teachers etc, you should be able to learn geometry.

Keep in mind to learn math you actually have to DO it. People often think of elaborate methods of how they can learn but never actually DO the work. Get a book and DO the math!

What about physics do you like exactly? If you weren't doing math homework because it was too easy, why not do the homework and then get into accelerated classes where you should be if the current is too easy. I am a senior in high school and took my first physics class last year with not much knowledge about it before. You will be surprised how much math is in physics. I consider physics to be another math class, just more applied, and its harder in many ways because of the concepts you have to think of. I must say though that I don't know anyone who is good at physics or even really enjoys it without having a very firm grasp on a lot of math.

Also what about geometry do you need to know? You should be able to do a lot of physics with simple trig like sin/cos functions.

berkeman said:

That is an interesting christmas present berkeman! I kinda chuckled at the idea of opening a physics book for christmas, but at the same time I honestly wish my parents would have got me involved in physics when I was younger.

lax1113 said:
That is an interesting christmas present berkeman! I kinda chuckled at the idea of opening a physics book for christmas, but at the same time I honestly wish my parents would have got me involved in physics when I was younger.

Great Christmas present! In all seriousness, I think the world would be a much better place if more parents gave thoughtful gifts like this rather than the newest ipod/games/etc.

Nabeshin, while I completely agree that books about physics=great, so do ipods :smile:

Ipod touch was a great christmas present

mbisCool said:
As for learning geometry. If you didn't have trouble with algebra I would assume you will do fine in geometry.
I completely disagree with this statement. Without trying to sound cocky, when it comes to algebra, I rank as the top of my year. But as for geometry, well, I can barely pass those exams. It's all about what interests you, and geometry never caught my fancy.
For beginner geometry, there is no need for a lot of skill in algebra, but this changes slightly as the geometry becomes more complex.

lax1113 said:
I must say though that I don't know anyone who is good at physics or even really enjoys it without having a very firm grasp on a lot of math.
I second that!

1. What are some basic tips for learning physics at 14 years old?

Some basic tips for learning physics at 14 years old include developing a strong foundation in math, practicing problem-solving skills, and staying curious and engaged in the subject. It is also helpful to understand the real-world applications of physics and how it relates to everyday life.

2. How can I improve my understanding of complex physics concepts?

Improving your understanding of complex physics concepts can be achieved through active learning techniques such as taking notes, asking questions, and participating in discussions. It is also important to break down the concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces and to seek help from teachers or peers when needed.

3. What are some useful study strategies for physics?

Some useful study strategies for physics include creating flashcards, practicing problem-solving regularly, and using mnemonic devices to remember formulas and equations. It is also beneficial to study in a quiet and distraction-free environment and to take breaks when needed.

4. How can I prepare for physics exams?

To prepare for physics exams, it is important to review notes and previous assignments, practice solving problems from past exams, and create a study schedule to manage time effectively. It is also helpful to seek clarification on any confusing topics and to get a good night's sleep before the exam.

5. What are some fun ways to learn physics at 14 years old?

There are many fun ways to learn physics at 14 years old, such as performing science experiments, watching educational videos or documentaries, and playing physics-related games or simulations. It can also be enjoyable to join a study group or participate in physics clubs or competitions.