Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to live forever: New Scientist

1. Oct 17, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opinterview.jsp;jsessionid=HAKLOFHIJBEG?id=ns24171

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2003 #2
    I think (i haven't looked for any evidence thus far) there are fundamental restrictions on how old we can live mentally.

Everyone knows as you grow older, your habits begin to cement in the mind, progressively harder and harder to shake off. Nerve connections become more and more permanent. When you listen to the elderly, they constantly recount the past. I think perhaps the biggest side effect of attempting to 'live forever' is that while your body could regenerate indefinitely - your mind would live only in the past.

Sure drugs could attempt to 'reverse' such effects to make the mind flexible again. Such drugs are also known as brain washing drugs. What a catch 22 :smile:

4. Oct 19, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think elderly live in the past, since it is hard to make new connection in order to live in the future.

5. Oct 19, 2003 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I am 70, and I think these last two posts are hilarious. Si la jeunesse sauvait, si la viellesee pouvait.

6. Oct 19, 2003 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

haha, you are right, I was commenting on jinx.. we both are talking about dementia where short term memory is lost, as we all know, the brain has a certain number of neurons which won't be regenerated when lost. If we want to live forever, we'd have to make sure that nerve connections can be regenerated.

I am not sure what you said there, something like: safe your youth, if life lets you?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  7. Oct 19, 2003 #6

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If youth knew, if elder could.

It should be "savait" not "sauvait". It is two different word but it sounds the same. :wink:

8. Oct 19, 2003 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

viellesee is elder? I was thinking la vie :P

9. Oct 19, 2003 #8

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

vieillesse is from vieux and vieille which means old in the masculin and feminin respectively.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?