Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to live in Europe

1. Jun 30, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

It seems like everything is more fun over there!

USA is getting boring T.T

Need to graduate so I can get out of this country

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yep, it's a continuous party over here!

4. Jun 30, 2014 #3
    Have you done any travel in Europe? For that matter, have you traveled the US extensively?

5. Jun 30, 2014 #4
    You should read the economics and politics over here.

6. Jun 30, 2014 #5

Maylis

Gold Member

Yes, I've traveled in France, Germany, Finland, Sweden, and The Netherlands.

And yes, I was at an international school for over a week in Finland and all the Europeans partied every single day.

I've been around the USA as well, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, Texas, etc. I don't know why, but Europeans just seem to be way more friendly and the lifestyle over there is a lot more laid back.

I had a conversation with a Swiss political columnist when I was in Paris. I know they have some messed up politics. It seems that Brussels is the criminal city of Europe. Sounds like Chicago in the USA haha.

One of my hosts in Paris said not to go to bruxelles because it's a town of criminals with nothing to show. The other German said his rental car was stolen there. But I still want to go. I only got to be in a train station in Belgium, haven't done any extensive traveling there.

7. Jun 30, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's just french people hating on belgium. I'm sure Paris is more dangerous than Brussels.

8. Jun 30, 2014 #7

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, Europe. The mythical homegenous political entity, to which all Yanks yearn to return their prodigal genetic material. Here, plumbers are Polish, cars are German, wine is French, gandja is Dutch, and women are bearded. In Europe, parties are wild and not bipartisan. Ruled by the Queen and Silvio Berlusconi from their royal seat in Vatican, the land has enjoyed lasting peace for the past hundreds of years, broken only by minor quarrels of little significance.

By Jove, how boring it is! I want to live in Asia. Everything seems more fun over there.

9. Jun 30, 2014 #8

Maylis

Gold Member

Well, my next adventure in upcoming months is to Hong Kong, China, and southeast asia =)

I know I have rosy colored vision of my trip to Europe last summer. I do recognize some conveniences that are in the USA that aren't in Europe. Such things include the lack of ice in Europe, paying for water because by default you get mineral water (I spent 20€ in the Netherlands because I thought the 7 waters I drank out of stupid 100 mL cups were free like back home), getting gas water by default unless asking for non-gas, and generally higher prices for everything. Generally smaller living spaces and more cramming....Well, maybe the USA isn't so bad after all, but I still want my rosy colored vision of Europe in my head :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  10. Jun 30, 2014 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

11. Jun 30, 2014 #10

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

As far as anti-Semitism in Europe is concerned, it may be worth reading the following counterpoint from the Economist:

http://www.economist.com/news/europ...g-violent-anti-semitism-guns-and-ballot-boxes

12. Jun 30, 2014 #11

Maylis

Gold Member

yeah, but you get your manual transmission car overturned :tongue:

13. Jun 30, 2014 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...by thugs who appreciate good wine and cheese!

14. Jun 30, 2014 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Well, actually IIRC, they were in poor immigrant neighborhoods. Not necessarily French.

15. Jul 1, 2014 #14

Borek

I know people fed with Europe and thinking about moving to US.

You can't have everyone happy.

16. Jul 1, 2014 #15

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are always some who insist upon the right to complain. Even if it's only to complain about the lack of things to complain about. Even heaven had dissent.

17. Jul 1, 2014 #16

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, there's a contradiction here...

Might it be that you were on vacation? That'll make most places seem better.

18. Jul 1, 2014 #17
    To a lot of people, it is better somewhere else. Here in the UK, people think the USA is awesome and so on. However, as much as it may not be true, moving somewhere away may make said person happier not because the country is better but because it is different. I think saying you want to move to Europe is very vague though. If I wanted to move anywhere else in Europe it would probably be Germany or Switzerland. I think Spain and Greece have too many issues economically, or so I've read.

19. Jul 1, 2014 #18
    Greece is meant to be recovering now, and Spain's economy is too dependent upon tourism.

20. Jul 1, 2014 #19

Ryan_m_b

Nothing to show? There's a famous statue of a boy taking a pee! What more do you want?!?

21. Jul 1, 2014 #20
    That all started with the European parliament.
    Also I don't think there's too much trouble except in some bad parts. But hey France has some good parts, just as Brussels has some bad parts :-)

Also in rural areas it's quite nice. I don't like cities in general.

Last tip; don't rely on the Belgian railway organisation. They are on time once every 5 years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook