I want to major in physics but

In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual is considering majoring in physics, despite having no prior experience in the subject. They are also considering computer science as an alternative. It is recommended that they take a few physics courses to see if they enjoy it, and to talk to professors and grad students to gain a better understanding of the field. It is also mentioned that the average time to graduate is around 6 years, and the individual is advised to enjoy their college experience and not rush through it. Additionally, geophysics is mentioned as a potential field to explore. The conversation concludes with the individual thanking the responder for their input and expressing interest in the physics major.
OK, I get it.
Outside the US, things are a little different: there's a Bachelor's degree and a compulsory Masters degree before you start your doctoral studies. Those last two degrees are, on an average three years each, making it a whole of six years.
So @Carnivroar, you're not spending too much time after all!
@Pengwuino, I stand corrected.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryker said:
No, it's not.

For a bachelor, certainly yes. I got my bachelor in 3 years and my masters in 2 more years.

micromass said:
For a bachelor, certainly yes. I got my bachelor in 3 years and my masters in 2 more years.
Yes, that's quite what I meant. A BSc, an MSc and a PhD in a country like, say the UK, is 3, 2 and 3 years respectively. I was referring to each of them separately.

micromass said:
Yeah, but that's far from saying the average graduation time is three years, though. In a lot of countries undergraduate studies used to or still take four years, and even then students in average don't actually graduate in three or four years. For example, back home the average graduation time is about six years, even though prior to the Bologna change, students were supposed to graduate in four (plus one) years. So since there's invariably going to be more students that take longer than the prescribed time to graduate than those that take less, there's just no way you can get that average graduation time down to three years, even if all systems implemented the three-year undergraduate degree.

I think so long as you do something worthwhile all those years, it really doesn't matter how long you take to graduate! Not that it should cross ten years or anything ;-)

I think that most people don't do double majors and still graduate in 4-5 years. And many of them switch majors and end up having wasted a lot of time.

I'm going for a double major and double minor. 5 years is actually little considering the amount of work I'm doing. But I'm also going to have to take classes every summer.

And if it takes another year to make my physics B.A into a B.S I'll go for it also.

Carnivroar said:
What do you mean?

I just thought since I was good at calculus I would be good at physics. But it was a big wake up call for me. But not to scare you or anything physics is really fun and interesting and you take away a lot of good stuff from it.

If you're planning to go to physics graduate school then you really need to spend summers doing REU's

cragar said:
I just thought since I was good at calculus I would be good at physics. But it was a big wake up call for me. But not to scare you or anything physics is really fun and interesting and you take away a lot of good stuff from it.

Ah, I see. I got an A in calc 1, but I'll keep that in mind.

Fizex said:
If you're planning to go to physics graduate school then you really need to spend summers doing REU's

If I go to graduate school it will be for engineering, not physics. I hope a physics B.A will be sufficient to get me in, along with a comp sci B.S.

Wait, so why aren't you going to study engineering then?

Best preparation for engineering graduate school is an engineering degree. Physics -> EE might be easier than the other engineering disciplines.

Ryker said:
Wait, so why aren't you going to study engineering then?

There is no engineering at my school. I go to a public liberal arts college. :frown: Besides, engineering is just an option I'd like to keep open.

Is this schedule too heavy for next semester?

Calculus 2
Calculus 2 lab
Programming 2
Itroductory physics 1
Elementary Discrete Structures & Applications to Computer Science

18 credits

I did calc 2 and programming at the same time and there was no problem. I just dropped my Physics w calc I because I did not have enough time to teach myself, but I will take it again in the fall. Never had the fourth class. It looks like you would have to spend a LOT of time studying and doing homework/ writing up labs.

HeLiXe said:
I did calc 2 and programming at the same time and there was no problem. I just dropped my Physics w calc I because I did not have enough time to teach myself, but I will take it again in the fall. Never had the fourth class. It looks like you would have to spend a LOT of time studying and doing homework/ writing up labs.

I heard that the last class (Elementary...) is very easy so I'm not worrying about it.

"Writing up labs" -- for which class do you mean? Calc 2 lab should be very very easy, I hardly did anything for my Calc 1 lab and I got an A-. We just mess around with the Maple software.

oh ok..yes I was thinking the calc II lab and physics labs. In my programming class we also had labs, but that consisted of making programs, nothing like writing up a lab report lol. It took me 1-4 hours for the programs depending on the complexity, although I did spend 8 hours on a program once because of the flowcharts, external design, and other stuff that was associated with the program. I have differential equations this semester and am using Maplesoft as well--lots of fun :biggrin: although I wonder if other software is better for what we're doing... like CAD, etc. I have no clue!

<h2>1. Can I major in physics even if I haven't taken any physics courses in high school?</h2><p>Yes, you can still major in physics even if you haven't taken any physics courses in high school. Many universities offer introductory physics courses for students who have not had prior experience with the subject.</p><h2>2. Is physics a difficult major?</h2><p>Physics can be a challenging major, but it ultimately depends on your interest and dedication to the subject. If you have a strong foundation in math and a curiosity for understanding how the world works, you may find physics to be a rewarding and enjoyable major.</p><h2>3. What career options are available with a physics major?</h2><p>A physics major can lead to a variety of career options, including research and development in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology. Other career paths include teaching, data analysis, and engineering.</p><h2>4. Do I need to have advanced math skills to major in physics?</h2><p>Having a strong understanding of math is important for studying physics, but it is not necessary to have advanced math skills before starting the major. Most physics programs will include math courses as part of the curriculum to help students develop the necessary skills.</p><h2>5. What can I expect to learn in a physics major?</h2><p>In a physics major, you can expect to learn about the fundamental principles of the physical world, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are valuable in many fields.</p>

1. Can I major in physics even if I haven't taken any physics courses in high school?

Yes, you can still major in physics even if you haven't taken any physics courses in high school. Many universities offer introductory physics courses for students who have not had prior experience with the subject.

2. Is physics a difficult major?

Physics can be a challenging major, but it ultimately depends on your interest and dedication to the subject. If you have a strong foundation in math and a curiosity for understanding how the world works, you may find physics to be a rewarding and enjoyable major.

3. What career options are available with a physics major?

A physics major can lead to a variety of career options, including research and development in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology. Other career paths include teaching, data analysis, and engineering.

4. Do I need to have advanced math skills to major in physics?

Having a strong understanding of math is important for studying physics, but it is not necessary to have advanced math skills before starting the major. Most physics programs will include math courses as part of the curriculum to help students develop the necessary skills.

5. What can I expect to learn in a physics major?

In a physics major, you can expect to learn about the fundamental principles of the physical world, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are valuable in many fields.