I want to self teach physics

Hi, I am grade 11 in high school
I got my grade 11 math and physics credit
and i thought i want to move on and study grade 12 and more (maybe even university level)
I always loved math and last semester I tried physics for first time and it was awesome
(except optics,, hahaha personal preference i guess)

anyways

I have a grade 12 physics textbook and giancoli physics 5th edition
I am almost done giancoli
and i want to try some more challenging stuff

So which textbooks do 1st 2nd 3rd 4th year students use for physics?

physics is so cool and almost beautiful

P.s. I think i need to study some math as well? can you recommend some math text book?

Answers and Replies

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Grab a good calculus text that covers the 3 semesters of university calculus. The next step is calculus based physics which is certainly a drag if you don't know calculus :). Check out Stewart's calculus text. I know there's another well known calculus text but I can't put my finger on it.

For first year physics, I would recommend "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. It is a very readable text with plenty of examples and chapter summaries.

As far as math goes, Thomas' Calculus is very good. It covers calculus of a single variable and multivariable calculus, so you will have plenty to learn.

You can probably pick up an older edition of either of these books relatively cheap on amazon or ebay. If you are self studying, there is no reason to buy a newer edition.

thx for the replies
i should have read some of the older posts before i asked
many questions were similar as mine

no need to answer mine anymore
thx though