I want to study for a Masters degree in the US

In summary, the conversation included a student from Spain who is interested in pursuing a master's degree in the US but is worried about the cost. They discuss the possibility of being a teaching assistant to cover tuition costs and the differences between master's and PhD programs in the US. The student also asks about job opportunities in the US after obtaining a degree in Europe, especially in light of recent political events. The responder offers advice on finding employment in the US and mentions that it is difficult to predict the impact of the recent election on job prospects.
pitbull
Gold Member
Hello everyone,

I am from Spain and I am in the last year of my bachelor in Physics. I am actually very interested in moving in the US to get a masters degree, but I cannot afford to pay the tuition, and I was not able to find any full scholarship that I could apply for. Any advice that you guys could give to me?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TA? How's your English?

Likes pitbull
Bystander said:
TA? How's your English?

Pretty good, I have already spent two years studying in an English speaking country.

Do you think being a TA would allow me to not pay any tuition fee, or I would still have to pay a percentage?

pitbull said:
Do you think being a TA would allow me to not pay any tuition fee, or I would still have to pay a percentage?
Depends upon the institution, but when I was in grad school, STEM areas were always short of TAs. Cross your fingers its still that way.

Edit: No percentage, as long as you carried a "full" teaching load, which was a couple sections, labs or study groups.

Likes pitbull
Are you planning to get a master's degree only, or a master's then a Ph.D.?

In the US, a physics Ph.D. program is the equivalent of a separate master's and Ph.D. elsewhere, and includes the master's-level coursework. Students normally enter a Ph.D. program directly after finishing a bachelor's degree, and normally receive financial support (via a combination of teaching and research assistantships) for the entire program.

Physics master's degrees are usually "terminal master's" that are not intended to lead to a Ph.D. They're usually for training in specific areas for industrial work, or for high-school teachers looking to upgrade their credentials and salary.

Likes pitbull
pitbull said:
Pretty good, I have already spent two years studying in an English speaking country.

May I suggest that you read "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay to start with? In particular, pay attention to Parts VI and VII, which may apply to you directly.

Zz.

Likes pitbull
Bystander said:
Depends upon the institution, but when I was in grad school, STEM areas were always short of TAs. Cross your fingers its still that way.

Edit: No percentage, as long as you carried a "full" teaching load, which was a couple sections, labs or study groups.

ZapperZ said:
May I suggest that you read "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay to start with? In particular, pay attention to Parts VI and VII, which may apply to you directly.

Zz.

jtbell said:
Are you planning to get a master's degree only, or a master's then a Ph.D.?

In the US, a physics Ph.D. program is the equivalent of a separate master's and Ph.D. elsewhere, and includes the master's-level coursework. Students normally enter a Ph.D. program directly after finishing a bachelor's degree, and normally receive financial support (via a combination of teaching and research assistantships) for the entire program.

Physics master's degrees are usually "terminal master's" that are not intended to lead to a Ph.D. They're usually for training in specific areas for industrial work, or for high-school teachers looking to upgrade their credentials and salary.

Thank you for the information, it's been quite helpful. And if I didn't end up going to graduate school in the US, and I got my Ph.D/masters in Europe, would I be less likely to find a job in the US? (my idea is to end up moving in the US sooner or later).

pitbull said:
Thank you for the information, it's been quite helpful. And if I didn't end up going to graduate school in the US, and I got my Ph.D/masters in Europe, would I be less likely to find a job in the US? (my idea is to end up moving in the US sooner or later).

After the result of the election last night, do you still want to go to the US to find a job? You have only less than a couple of months left before The Donald closes our borders!

Finding a job in the US is a crapshoot, and most employers (especially in the private sector) will not sponsor anyone without already having a valid working visa, regardless of where you got your degree.

Zz.

Likes pitbull
ZapperZ said:
After the result of the election last night, do you still want to go to the US to find a job? You have only less than a couple of months left before The Donald closes our borders!

Finding a job in the US is a crapshoot, and most employers (especially in the private sector) will not sponsor anyone without already having a valid working visa, regardless of where you got your degree.

Zz.

Do you really think that Trump's victory will have an effect on my chances of finding a job/degree program in the US?

pitbull said:
Do you really think that Trump's victory will have an effect on my chances of finding a job/degree program in the US?

I was being facetious when I made my earlier statement. To be able to answer your question here will require that I make baseless speculation, which is against the forum's rules.

Zz.

1. How do I choose the right Masters program in the US?

Choosing the right Masters program in the US can be overwhelming. It is important to consider your career goals, research interests, and budget. Start by researching different universities and their programs, read reviews and rankings, and reach out to current students or alumni for their insights. Also, consider factors such as program curriculum, faculty, and resources available. It is also recommended to visit the campus and attend information sessions to get a better understanding of the program.

2. What are the requirements for applying to a Masters program in the US?

The requirements for applying to a Masters program in the US may vary depending on the university and program. Generally, you will need to submit transcripts from your previous education, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and standardized test scores (such as GRE or GMAT). Some programs may also require a resume, writing samples, or interviews. It is important to check the specific requirements of each program before applying.

3. Is it necessary to take the GRE or GMAT for a Masters program in the US?

While many Masters programs in the US do require GRE or GMAT scores, some may have alternative requirements. It is important to research the specific requirements of each program before applying. Additionally, some universities may offer waivers for standardized tests based on certain criteria, such as a high GPA or relevant work experience.

4. How much does it cost to study for a Masters degree in the US?

The cost of studying for a Masters degree in the US can vary greatly depending on the university, program, and location. On average, tuition for a Masters program can range from $20,000 to $40,000 per year. Additionally, you will need to consider other expenses such as housing, transportation, and living expenses. It is important to research and budget for all potential costs before applying to a program.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for international students studying for a Masters degree in the US?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for international students studying for a Masters degree in the US. Some universities may offer merit-based scholarships, while others may have specific scholarships for international students. It is important to research and apply for scholarships as early as possible, as they may have specific deadlines. Additionally, you can also explore options for financial aid from the US government or private organizations.