1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying I want to study physics well

1. May 31, 2017 #1
    Since i was 16 years old, i loved physics and i was looking forward to full study it and with a big focus on quantum mechanics, but i have a problem that the physics informations that i studied in school and now in university are not arranged and there are some missing informations that stops me from fully understanding it , and i started figuring that sine i bought a Stephen Hawking's book theory of everything and there are many things i didn't understand it , and in my university ( i'm and engineering student in my first yeare btw) they teach us physics to not to understand it but to know how to solve exam problems to get high marks , so i don't know what to do to rearrange my physics informations and get the missing ones , any help in this big problem?!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That was one giant sentence.

I suggest you take a class in writing. It will teach you to better organize your thoughts, and you will need to have this kind of mental organization to make sense of physics.

4. Jun 1, 2017 #3
    Class in writing!! :D

5. Jun 1, 2017 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

It's a big problem that may take a lifetime to solve. You can read "popularized" science books written for the general public for entertainment, but you need to read textbooks to actually learn science. Take a textbook and imagine you are assigned to teach it. Ask yourself how you would explain the material. (If you are adventurous, volunteer as a tutor and put yourself in to position where you are forced to make explanations !)

6. Jun 2, 2017 #5
    Could you suggest me any textbooks that explain physics from the beginning?!
    PS : I'm good at math by the way

7. Jun 2, 2017 #6
  8. Jun 2, 2017 #7
    Should i have to read those lectures only; nothing else ?! Any other books to read any videos to watch?!

9. Jun 3, 2017 #8
    Hi Mohamed,
    you can also watch the videos on this side:
    http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses
    They include modern topics like black holes or the Higgs particle that are not in the Feynmann lectures from 1964, but are a bit more difficult and they probably explain everything in much more detail than you need to understand Hawkings book.

10. Jun 3, 2017 #9

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Joe Cool, thank you for the site link. That site has some great videos.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted