I want to take an English name

• Thread starter tianbian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, Reed or Bulrush might be a better name for you. It has a sense of being toward the horizon, and it is possible to pronounce the letter "r" well.
As a sophomore/junior, I was co-habitating with a a grad student several years my senior (very fit lifeguard at the University pool), when her sister "dropped in" from the Netherlands. I shook that cutie's hand, introduced myself and asked her name. She said "BJ" and my girlfriend jumped in with a very matter-of-fact "Barbara Jane". Seemed a bit cold to douse any hopes that way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Trivia: What does the B.J. stand for in B.J. Hunnicutt?

I remember the episode where that was revealed.

His name is simply B.J., and he is named after his parents Bea and Jay Hunnicut.

One of my friends had a room-mate from a muslim country. His name was Fuc*rudin (without space).

tianbian said:
I am a physics enthusiast, I am a Chinese. I now want an English name.
If the name can descripe a sense is better.the sense is A person toward the horizon.
thank you for all your recommend.
You are interested in getting a Western name, but you are trying to apply Eastern ways of thinking.

Westerners, as has been mentioned, tend to name children after other family members, there is no meaning associated with the name. The rest of the time Westerners choose names based on how they sound. There is very little thought in western cultures to any significance. It sounds as though your culture has a very beautiful custom of applying some scenario or occasion to a child's name. I think that is wonderful.

Reed would be a cool name to a Westerner because it is unusual for a person and based on current trends sounds "cool". Fashion trends in western countries for naming children leans toward taking a common name for an item and using it in an unusual way, such as a name for a child. Another trend is to name a girl with a traditionally male name. It's kind of a shock value. Like naming a girl Murphy or Harrison, names that in the past signified a male.

tianbian said:
I am a physics enthusiast, I am a Chinese. I now want an English name.
If the name can descripe a sense is better.the sense is A person toward the horizon.
thank you for all your recommend.

Reed is the name of the coolest college in America.
America is the newest of places on the planet.
And they have a beautiful lake on campus.
pf_reed_college.jpg

It totally fits.

If you want to be cool, go with Reed.

And of course, tell everyone that the college was named after you.

We will believe almost anything here. :smile:

Om Cheeto! & Wo bu tso dau! :smile::smile:

tianbian,

My last name, Booda, seems like an adopted Chinese name! (Actually, "Booda" derives from the German "Bode.")

A synonym (word with a similar meaning) for "horizon" is "edge." It so happens that a popular English first name or last name is Edgar!

Now I understand the excitement of naming another.:biggrin:

Oerg said:
reed is a nice name

unlike rutherford :rolleyes:

reed is a nice name
really ?
Why do you think so

jobyts said:
Since your last name is short, I would recommend a longer first name.
What's the closest English pronunciation for your chinese name?

It can't be pronounciation in english
The pinyin is "jia"

Jack21222 said:
I'd go for Reed, given he option between Reed and Bulrush.

thank you

tiny-tim said:
Hi tianbian! Welcome to PF! :smile:

i] a name like reed or bulrush does not have the same significance in the West as it has in China … we see them as uninteresting (however, you will be in southern India, where they may have a different view)
ii] nearly everyone at OU will have an Indian name, not an English one
iii] can you pronounce the letter "r" well? if not, avoid names like Reed or Robin
iv] English boys' names don't usually mean anything … there are many English girls' names which mean flowers, or virtues, such as Daisy or Grace, but very few boys' names like Victor … we choose a name because of other people who have that name, not because of its literal meaning
v] i suggest you choose a statesman or actor whom you admire, and take his name … Winston or Nelson or John or Tom or …

Good luck, anyway! :smile:

1, you are right. but the name itself is uninteresting.we just need the pronunciation is easy.
reed is basicly ok.
2, I think the indian will accept english name.
3, I think i can pronounce the letter "r" well. but it is not the point
4, anyway we can't refuse some interesting things,for example names mean something . Am i right?
5, This is really stumped me.Chinese young man always hated political leaders.you never believe the darkness of chinese Officialdom.

thank you anyway
by the way Einstein is my idol,noly one.

fuzzyfelt said:
I think Reed could work.
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Reed
It would probably fit in better than Bulrush.

Also, Ken is a synonym of horizon, meaning the extent of perception, understanding, knowledge or vision, and is also a fairly common name, variation of or shortened form of Kenneth, which means 'fire-born; good looking', according to this link
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Kenneth

thankyou for your link
the link tell me the reed it can be use

ken is a very nice name
as you say Ken is a synonym of horizon, meaning the extent of perception, understanding, knowledge or vision.

thankyou,if veed doesn't work
i perhelps choose ken

Focus said:
Go for Norbert, like Norbert Wiener.

sausage ?

jtbell said:
Some groups in the USA have favored "meaningful" names, but they're usually considered eccentric. When I was young, there was a man in my church whom everybody knew as "P. H. Wolfe." Everybody used his initials, never his first name. It wasn't until after several years that we learned what the initials stood for: Pleasant Harmonious!

the girl have a good name

Does reed really work?

tianbian said:
Does reed really work?
Reed is nice, though if you want to have a name that conjures up a sense of solo exploration, Ranger or Scout might fit you better.

tianbian,

As a first and middle name, please consider Cosmos Edgar. "Cosmos" is Greek for "universe" (and also a proper name), and Edgar I mentioned before. Together, they could mean "the edge (horizon) of the universe."

Loren Booda said:
tianbian,

As a first and middle name, please consider Cosmos Edgar. "Cosmos" is Greek for "universe" (and also a proper name), and Edgar I mentioned before. Together, they could mean "the edge (horizon) of the universe."

so recommend my name should be "Cosmos Reed Lin" or "Egar reed Lin"
or just "Reed Lin"
or "cosmos Lin" or "Egar Lin"

Loren Booda said:
tianbian,

so you recommend , my name should be "Cosmos Reed Lin" or "Egar reed Lin"?
or just "Reed Lin"?
or "cosmos Lin" or "Egar Lin" ?

No, stick with Reed. Edgar is a horrid name.

Or better yet, use your own name.

My wife's name is Kang Mei-Ling. Mei means beautiful (belle in French) and Ling means bell. What more perfect Anglicized name for her than Belle? Unfortunately, when she went to school, her English teacher gave her the name of Connie based on nothing more than the sound of the first 3 letters in her family name. I have never called her by this name, preferring Mei-Ling. To sum up, you can't do better than Jimmy.

How about Frank? (meaning: sincere) You're name would then be: Frank Lin :smile:

But if I were honest, I think you should keep your own name. It is the name your parents gave to you.

arildno said:
No, stick with Reed. Edgar is a horrid name.

Or better yet, use your own name.

Then I suggest only "Cosmos."

Well don't call yourself Ralph or Larry, as you will not make a good impression if you are unable to say your own name. :biggrin:

(Or is that so only for Japanese?) :confused:

However I will come back with a serious answer if I can think of one. :smile:

tianbian said:
so you recommend , my name should be "Cosmos Reed Lin" or "Egar reed Lin"?
or just "Reed Lin"?
or "cosmos Lin" or "Egar Lin" ?

Part of this depends. Do you want a name that would sound unusual to native-English speakers, or do you prefer a name that is fairly common among native-English speakers?

Cosmos would sound unusual.
Reed would be somewhat normal.
Edgar was more common 100 years ago, not so much now.

What about Moonbeam Unit?

Physics and Zappa too.

I am thinking

Bokee Twan
The last name sounds like Chinese
and the first one really is much of foreigner

I would recommend keeping at least part of your original name. And if you like "reed" use it as well. Remember in USA/Europe (I do not know about india) you can, without being different, have a surname and a middle name as well. So three total.

Kenneth Reed Lin

As a nickname, or familiar form of the name:
Ken or Kenny.

Kenny Lin sounds very american/chinese at the same time.

So,i decide my name is reed. reed lin.

lisab
Soca fo so
rootX
LowlyPion
Ivan Seeking
Evo
jimmysnyder
turbo-1
qntty
Oerg
jobyts
Jack21222
tiny-tim
fuzzyfelt
jtbell
Focus
Tom Mattson
Ivan Seeking
Redbelly98
jobyts
OmCheeto
Loren Booda
arildno
jimmysnyder
Monique
epenguin
Redbelly98
LowlyPion
knockitup
K.J.Healey

thanks,you are all sweet guy

two part total of my name (Reed Lin)
Lin is my family name
Reed is my name

So you can call me Reed

Abubakatafawabaleywa.....a fine old English name.