Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to talk 2 U!

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    I am Chinese student seeking people who I can talk to in English.
    It is really important to me,since I am gona' take the TOEFL test in a year or half.
    You guys wana' help me?Can you leave me your Skype name or MSN email so that I can touch you later?

By the way,I am not a boring guy:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2
    Hey dude, there is no way I am letting you touch me, OK? :tongue2:

You should say something like: "[...] so that I can contact you later" or "[...] so that we can keep in touch."

Also, you should say, "I am a Chinese student [...]" Not, "I am Chinese student [...]"

4. Oct 6, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Flirtation Alert!!!

5. Oct 6, 2006 #4
    :rofl:

Yes, this is a bit dangerous no ? Don't worry, i am just kiddin'

Like mattmns told you, you should have said somethin' else here.

I am sure you are not.

marlon

6. Oct 6, 2006 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hi Greenapple, welcome to PF! You will find MANY people willing to correct your English here. :redface: First, "real" English speaking people don't type "u", they spell out "you". "gona" is not a word, it is "going to". "wana" is not a word, it is "want to". Also "seeking people who I can talk to" is not gramatically correct, it should be "seeking people with whom I can speak".

Actually, you are doing quite well :smile:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  7. Oct 6, 2006 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now look what you've gone and done! :tongue:

Welcome to Physics Forums. Hope you enjoy it here!

8. Oct 6, 2006 #7

Mk

Some people from other countries never put spaces after their commas or periods. *cough cough Gokul* I don't think Green Apple is doing it on purpose though.

9. Oct 6, 2006 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He does that? I never noticed!

10. Oct 6, 2006 #9

Mk

He very recently stopped I think.

11. Oct 6, 2006 #10
    I really appreciate you funny guys to have corrected me

Is the title a correct expression?:tongue2:
    I really love this forum, because it has always been providing me what I wanted.
    I've been studing English for so many years. But I find what I learned a little far from the daly life of English-speaking people.
    We watch Friends at English classes and I fail to understand many expressions. And I think I need to put English into daly-use to improve on it.

And the 'gonna' 'wanna' things are what I have known from friends recently.:biggrin:

Again, I am glad and open for any corrections.

By the way, we had I a one-week-long holiday from the National Day which is on October 1st. During that time, I watched God Father ,all three. I like it so much, of cause not for the sake of those murdering scenes - I am not that bored. What I like it most is that it tells a story how a fine, freedom-seeking young man give way to responsibility and love to the family, which, by the way is very important to Chinese too, and betray his whole life, doing what he hates to do and wathcing the value he seted out to seek getting farer and farer to reach. That reminds me a saying by Sartre - the hell is other people

Keep in touch!:biggrin:

12. Oct 7, 2006 #11
    Leet(1337) is the official language of PF and the internet.

13. Oct 7, 2006 #12
    "That is precisely the kind of language up with which I will not put."

--Winston Churchill :wink:

14. Oct 7, 2006 #13
    Welcome, GreenApple. If you'd like to practice your English, perhaps you could tell us a bit about life in China?

15. Oct 7, 2006 #14

Mk

Yonoz! You silly. That's like asking "how is life in Isreal?" You could probably come up with a few things, but it is so open-ended and unspecific that you really don't know what to say.

By the way, how is life in Isreal?

See, now you have to prove me wrong, while I don't have to come up with specific questions. :biggrin:

16. Oct 7, 2006 #15
    I thought this was GA's thread, but what the heck.
    Life in Israel is pretty much like other western countries, with a little bit of action and financial hardship thrown in. We finish school, do our compulsory service and start our lives. Most of us middle-classers go on a post-service trip somewhere exotic, and then try to gain some kind of higher education. Life can be very competitive sometimes, and a lot of us have a hard time financially, but we somehow manage - I guess you better appreciate consumer items when you pay sometimes more than twice their price in other countries. People here are very warm and outspoken, with a penchant for arguing. :wink:
    Have I proved you wrong?

17. Oct 8, 2006 #16

Mk

Yes, you have. That was very good.

18. Oct 9, 2006 #17

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Hi GreenApple. If you would like a more specific question about China, I have one. Why do people in China flash their car head-lights?
    The reason I ask is that I've been driving in China for three weeks in a car with a problematic indicator stick, randomly flashing people, and wondering what message I'm inadvertantly sending.

19. Oct 9, 2006 #18
    Ok, I will answer your question.
    You said people flashed their car head-light. I am telling you that it only happens at night and only when their cars are coming to the car you are driving. They might just be thinking that your car's headlight is too strong for them to see the road and what else in front of them, so they fleshed you to let you know that your light is blinding them and try to persuade you to turn the headlight down a bit. And you can turn it up back when they have passed you.
    That is what I have heard from others.

I think that is a question all over the world. What would people have done in your country?

20. Oct 9, 2006 #19
    The same thing, or to warn you of Police Cameras/Breath Tests. Or if a part of your car is broken (say your tail lights).

21. Oct 9, 2006 #20

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Happy Golden Week, for last week. We enjoyed the mid-autumn festival, and saw the rabbit in the moon.
    Thanks, but I have seen a bus flash the lights in the day. I don’t know why it did. I don’t think the cars in front of it, nor the cars coming toward it, were at fault.
    Head light flashing is generally a warning but does seem to mean slightly different things in different countries.
    In Australia, as Gelsamel Epsilon says, it mostly means that there are police around. In Italy it means, ‘Get out of my way’, and in England it means, ‘Please be my guest, and move in front of me’, and ‘Thank you’. I don't think the bus flashed for any of these reasons, but I could be wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?