I Want to Talk to a Pretty Girl

• Thread starter B3NR4Y
  • Start date

psparky

Gold Member
Alpha male doesn't even make sense in human society, unless you're talking about a father as head of household or a harem lord or the leader of a gang or something; the term has been bastardized by so called "pick up artists".

Yes, confidence is sexy, whether male or female. Sometimes you can make other people feel confident and comfortable and that should really be your goal with people you like and want to learn more about.
Alpha males and females are very real thing in our society. So is the Beta and the Omega. Just look around your workplace, school, home or wherever.
They are easy to pick out if you look carefully.

Pythagorean

Gold Member
Alpha males and females are very real thing in our society. So is the Beta and the Omega. Just look around your workplace, school, home or wherever.
They are easy to pick out if you look carefully.
That sounds like a very anecdotal approach, likely full of cognitive biases.

That sounds like a very anecdotal approach, likely full of cognitive biases.
wrong. And, until you admit that this is a real thing, you will continue to be the person standing off by himself watching all the women focus their attention on the alpha male who's controlling the entire room.

Sorry but it's a fact. It's not that difficult to observe this.

Pythagorean

Gold Member
wrong. And, until you admit that this is a real thing, you will continue to be the person standing off by himself watching all the women focus their attention on the alpha male who's controlling the entire room.

To me, your post seems foolish, having so confidently swung and missed in your assumptions about me. I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of swinging in the dark carried over to your confidence in pu theory...

It's something what you believe to be true, not a fact. Do not mistake the two :D But as you say, you observed this...

NTW

I had once a friend who was very often seen in the company of pretty girls, some of them spectacular beauties.

He didn't hide his 'secret'. He tried with every pretty girl that crossed in his path. 99% of the times -well, perhaps not that much, but most of the times- he was rejected. But sometimes he was not... And there is a very substantial difference between 1% and 0%. It's the reward for trying...

To me, your post seems foolish, having so confidently swung and missed in your assumptions about me. I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of swinging in the dark carried over to your confidence in pu theory...
This isn't pu theory bro.... this is basic psychology.

You go right ahead convincing yourself that this doesn't happen though...

psparky

Gold Member
Thanks for the support on the Alpha's, people.

I date the Alpha female of our group, she is tall and beautiful and gets even better looking when she talks. Her inner beauty shines. Thats a rarity.
I"m not the tallest or the best looking in our group, but I am the Alpha male......Big personalilty, big smile and a bunch of other intangibles allow me to be the big buck on the hill. I am only 5'-8".....she is 5'-9" in bare feet. In heels she is 6'-1 or 6'-2". In her own words....."baby, you are 6'-8" to me. Ok, I can live with that. And let me tell ya, I had to go through a lot of sub par women to get to her!!! What a journey!!!!

But ya, we all kinda go by rank. Girls are always going to get the highest rated buck possible, and guys are always going to try to get the highest rated female possible.

Now here's the thing.....what does highest rated mean? That's left up to the individual. Is it best looking? Most money? Most dominant? Best personality? Sexiest body? etc.....or is it just the way that one person can make you feel like no one else can?

And like I said...its not just with women. Its at work, at the motorcylce track, at the football field, in the house, outside of the house, in the elevator...everywhere.
If you don't belive this, you need to watch more of the nature chanel. Human beings are almost identical to wild animals...especially our instincts.

Obviously everyone can't be the alpha....but you need to find the "alpha" of your ranking...it just won't work otherwise.

To the original poster.....HOWS IT GOIN WITH THAT LADY!!???

Last edited:
Girls are always going to get the highest rated buck possible, and guys are always going to try to get the highest rated female possible.
This is absolutely true and there are several factors that contribute to a person being "alpha". It's not just about looks either... I've seen overweight guys, short guys, etc. clean up with women because they have off the charts charisma, for example.

With the exception of height and looks (actually even looks can be improved simply by dressing well & grooming oneself properly) these attributes CAN be picked up, even if they aren't innate.

That's why I have no sympathy for people that claim an alpha male "doesn't make sense in human society". They're clueless and unwilling to admit how the real world works when it comes to social interactions and members of the opposite sex.

The definition of an alpha personality seems quite elusive here. I can agree that women like strength in men, not just physical, but mental strength as well, the ability to provide and protect and social skills.

Going for the highest rated buck? I would go for the woman I enjoy spending time together with not the one that is the most popular among any given group of women or the highest rated buck, then again, she would be the "highest rated buck" to me. It is so individual, it's just impossible to pinpoint. Generalisations could be made, but basing one's view of the world ON those generalisations is faulty, in my opinion.

psparky

Gold Member
This is absolutely true and there are several factors that contribute to a person being "alpha". It's not just about looks either... I've seen overweight guys, short guys, etc. clean up with women because they have off the charts charisma, for example.

With the exception of height and looks (actually even looks can be improved simply by dressing well & grooming oneself properly) these attributes CAN be picked up, even if they aren't innate.

That's why I have no sympathy for people that claim an alpha male "doesn't make sense in human society". They're clueless and unwilling to admit how the real world works when it comes to social interactions and members of the opposite sex.

Apperantlly we agree!!!

Alpha: Strongest, most dominant in pack of animals or humans.
Beta: 2nd strongest, 2nd most dominant in pack of animals or humans.
Omega: Weakest, most timid, most passive in pack of animals or humans. (often does not mate or reproduce!!!! facts of life)

psparky

Gold Member
Nothing on this thread is factual....its all opinion. If you have a strong opinion on something, then stick with it.

Just like when I have a strong opinion on something, I stick with it.

Its just discussion on the fascinating topic of relationships and sexuality.

Pythagorean

Gold Member
Well it can be factual. Rather than depending on the "authority" of self-proclaimed "alpha males".

psparky

Gold Member
Well it can be factual. Rather than depending on the "authority" of self-proclaimed "alpha males".
Are you male or female? I honestly can't tell.

I'm actually more of an "authority" on alpha females.

That just made my day :D Wow, anyway..

Statistics does not generate facts :)

Pythagorean

Gold Member
Are you male or female? I honestly can't tell.

I'm actually more of an "authority" on alpha females.
Does my sex actually matter?

psparky

Gold Member
Does my sex actually matter?
Just curious....I might give me some insight on your opinions. Also....what's your rank? Are you more Alpha....mid-pack...or Omega?

Asking something like that is a sign of personal insecurities, and That is a fact, no judgment, though. Proceed..

It's hard to argue against dogma. I'll just leave this article full of actual research and not personal anecdotes here;

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/07/07/the-myth-of-the-alpha-male/
Taken together, the research suggests that the ideal man (for a date or romantic partner) is one who is assertive, confident, easygoing, and sensitive, without being aggressive, demanding, dominant, quiet, shy, or submissive. In other words, a prestigious man, not a dominant man.

In fact, it appears that the prestigious man who is high in both assertiveness and kindness is considered the most attractive to women for both short-term affairs and long-term relationships. This research should offer some assurance that the genuinely nice, passionate kid who learns a culturally valued skill can be immensely attractive.

Further, seeking to become a prestigious man is not only the surest route to success with women, but achievement in any area of life.

Thus, I think a much more effective and healthier route for men having difficulty attracting women is not to attempt to cultivate the traits of the stereotypical, dominant “alpha,” but to cultivate the traits of the prestigious man. This means developing a skill that brings value to society, and cultivating a stable sense of identity. Such a route will not only make you more attractive to women, but will also create the most satisfying life for yourself in general. In my view, attempting to don the persona of the “alpha” is analogous to building a house of cards. There’s no stable foundation supporting your worth.
Good article. I've seen a mass of hapless guys trying to become the "dominant" male by turning themselves into what boils down to being a kind of Moe from the Three Stooges.

Pythagorean

Gold Member
Just curious....I might give me some insight on your opinions. Also....what's your rank? Are you more Alpha....mid-pack...or Omega?
*sigh*

I am a straight male, my wife is a bisexual female. We are swingers, we are entrenched in the polyamorous and kink communities. Needless to say, I have lots of hands on experience with human sexuality. Your labels are so idiosyncratic as to be useless to our subculture.

psparky

Gold Member
*sigh*

I am a straight male, my wife is a bisexual female. We are swingers, we are entrenched in the polyamorous and kink communities. Needless to say, I have lots of hands on experience with human sexuality. Your labels are so idiosyncratic as to be useless to our subculture.
Interesting. I am a one woman kind of guy. What suprises me is that you off all people should undstand the hierarchy.

I agree to disagree with you. Your idea of love is sleeping with the world. Not mine.

Pythagorean

Gold Member
Interesting. I am a one woman kind of guy. What suprises me is that you off all people should undstand the hierarchy.

I agree to disagree with you. Your idea of love is sleeping with the world. Not mine.
Have you considered the possibility that I find your understanding of the hierarchy limited and static, when in actuality it's much more dynamic and versatile than you give it credit for?

I have the advantage of having experienced more than one lifestyle and I've found that different subcultures have different customs and values. In my current subculture, intellect and open-mindedness are valued over dominance and material value (not to say dominance isn't valued, but it's merely a contributing factor).

"Sleeping with the world" is a pretty bad mischaracterization... but that is the crux of our people; most of society doesn't get it; meanwhile they are cheating on each other and keeping their sexual fantasies bottled up.

I am routinely surprised by some of the content I find on PF and the last few posts on this thread are certainly no exception. I applaud you Pythagorean for your candor and straight forward nature in order to help others understand a culture few of us get to see. You are a good Scientist.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am routinely surprised by some of the content I find on PF and the last few posts on this thread are certainly no exception. I applaud you Pythagorean for your candor and straight forward nature in order to help others understand a culture few of us get to see. You are a good Scientist.
It surprises me, too. Especially on a science forum. Part of a being (or becoming) educated in science is learning to honestly (and sometimes painfully) question things "everyone knows to be true". It takes maturity to do that, though.

Pop-psych fads, such as the "alpha male", are great for making a few authors a lot of money. Live long enough and you'll see these fads come and go.