Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I was hit by a car today

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, yeah... that happened!

I was biking to the lab in the bike lane this morning and going straight through an intersection. A car was turning right (thus needing to cross over the bike lane) and didn't check her mirrors to look for bikes. So, I tried to stop but couldn't and was broadsided by this SUV, luckily at low speeds.

I'm OK, a bit shaken up, but otherwise fine. I don't think it was my fault. I had the green light, and she should have checked, so I'm taking solace in the fact that I was not at fault.

Biking in Boston is an experience, that's for sure. How much work should one be expected to get done on a day that started with them getting hit by a car. I'm hoping the answer is none. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2
    I can't tell you how many friends of mine have had an encounter with a car while biking, especially in the city! Glad you are ok! I hope everyone wears a helmet and installs proper reflectors and lights!

4. Aug 19, 2011 #3

turbo

Gold Member

So sorry, G01! I hope your'e OK and have no lingering aches and pains. As you well know by now, Boston is a horrible place to drive, and is probably the worst city in the US to ride a bike. People drive like they have blinders on, pay scant attention to their mirrors, and hardly ever use turn signals. You're pretty much on your own. You'd be safer biking through Manhattan.

5. Aug 19, 2011 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Not to mention that a person on a bike can easily be in the car driver's "blind spot".

I am so glad that you were not seriously injured. I do hope that you got the driver's license plate, driver's license and insurance information. Sometimes injuries don't raise their head immediately. You should report them to the police, if you haven't already, before they kill someone.

6. Aug 19, 2011 #5
    Except for the fact that you were hit by an SUV, and in Boston, I'd swear I saw your accident. I'm glad I saw this young man get up (with a "What the #$%^?" gesture), and get the license plate of the car. It initially seemed the lady wasn't even going to get out check on him, and apologize. THE GALL!

Please cyclists: Wear helmets! (This young man was not.) Watch out for insensitive or unaware drivers!

Please drivers: Be aware the terms are starting if you're driving near campuses! Alawys be aware of "alternative" transportation! Watch for bikers, motorcyclists, and pedestrians!

7. Aug 19, 2011 #6

rhody

Gold Member

GO1,

Glad you are OK, I know it sounds stupid, but get one of the dorky mirrors for your helmet or possibly your handlebars. Had you had one of those, you may have had time to get out of the way.

Rhody...

8. Aug 19, 2011 #7

berkeman

G01, did you hit your head? Were there any marks on your helmet?

Glad that you're okay, but as Evo points out, injuries can take a little while to surface.

If you hit your head, you should go get checked out by your doc.

9. Aug 19, 2011 #8
    Step 1: Get a lawyer
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: Profit

10. Aug 19, 2011 #9

Dembadon

Gold Member

It's good that you're feeling well, but I second the advice of others; you should get checked out by a physician. Adrenaline can mask injuries for longer than one would expect. Not to frighten you, but there are some injuries that aren't initially very painful but can be quite serious.

11. Aug 19, 2011 #10

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Guys, thanks for the concern.

I didn't hit my head thankfully. I saw what was coming a split second before it happened and hit the passenger side door with my shoulder.

A cursory check shows no problems. No headaches and I have full range of motion in my shoulder along with all other limbs. For now, the only problem seems to be a case of shock about the whole incident.

Some good advice was offered here. I always wear a helmet, and while I didn't hit my head this time, I could easily have hit it if I was not paying attention when the car turned in front of me. I never bike without a helmet.

As someone who also drives, I make a habit of checking (over my shoulder, not through the mirror) for a bike that may be near me before I make a right turn.

12. Aug 19, 2011 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like a terrifying close call...glad to hear you're OK!

13. Aug 19, 2011 #12

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Boston is making an effort to make the streets safer for bikes. They have been adding bike lanes everywhere and putting markers on the streets where bikes share the lane with cars. However, these things won't help all that much if drivers continue to be oblivious to the world outside their vehicle.

Being hit by a car is jokingly called the right of passage for a Boston cyclist. Unfortunately, that's more true than I thought.

14. Aug 19, 2011 #13
    Lol. Step 2 is to sue like any other American would :rolleyes:

Its def her fault. She should have seen you if she just passed you before the turn. A guy on a bike before your turn is pretty hard to miss. Was she on the phone?

15. Aug 19, 2011 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

As a driver in T.O., where bike lanes run amuck among traffic lanes, I am astonished our fatality rate hasn't skyrocketed.

I think that the rules of this new world order have not been clearly laid out.

Where there is no bike lane, is a bike still entitled the whole lane?
    Where there is no bike lane, and a car is making a right turn, is a bike enititled to overtake it on the right?
    What is a shared lane? How is it different from a regular lane?

16. Aug 19, 2011 #15

turbo

Gold Member

I have friends in the Quincy/Brockton area that would come up every summer so we could cruise our Harleys through the back woods and look at the scenery, visit lakes and waterfalls, etc. They kept urging me to come down for a visit, but there is no way that I would ride a motorcycle through that madness. Even sticking to the big 495 loop could be dangerous. I could have done the smaller 128 loop, but only if I went through in the wee hours. The Boston area is deadly if you are on a 'cycle. Even on a big bike, you are invisible to those drivers.

17. Aug 19, 2011 #16

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I also bike from time to time. I am glad to hear you're feeling better and empathize with the events you described. I've seen some close calls, but luckily no collisions.

Besides the great suggestions about using added safety equipment (rear mirrors etc), my only suggestion (which I do on my bike is) extra defensive maneuvers; "always assume motorists aren't paying attention to bicyclists". Our life and health is more important than the right of way. When crossing any intersection, even on a green light, (similar to how we are taught as children when crossing at crosswalks) I slow down and look.

18. Aug 19, 2011 #17
    Sue her.

19. Aug 20, 2011 #18
    I was hit by a truck while walking a while back. Twice actually, the second time by a van only a few months after the first. No fun.

I am glad that you have escaped unscathed.

Motorcycle riders bother me a lot when I drive. When they are just there on the road its no big deal but when out of no where I find some bike flying past my window only inches away because they are driving between cars it freaks me out.

20. Aug 20, 2011 #19

Borek

As a fellow biker I am glad to hear you are OK.

21. Aug 20, 2011 #20

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I don't know about T-Dot, but here in E-Town, where no explicit bike lane is demarcated (or better yet, a dedicated bike path or split pedestrian / bike trail) bikes are expected to behave as really slow-moving cars (take up the lane, signal turns / stops, stop for pedestrians / signals). Although I will bike on the shoulder of the road (where available) and yeah, not dismount while crossing at a cross-walk.

Then again, I'm not really a rush-hour cyclist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook