What is the Significance of Chanting Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo in Nichiren Buddhism?

• Thread starter francisco
  • Start date
francisco
I was introduced to nichiren buddhism in 1992. The most important practice of nichiren Buddhism (in my opinion) is the chanting of nam-myoho-renge-kyo. everything else (again, in my opinion) is not important. I knew that the chanting of nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the act to submitting to myoho-renge-kyo, but I did not know what myoho-renge-kyo was. In computer science, a variable is an identifier that labels a value for future reference. The value of a variable can be changed through assignment. Through chanting nam-myoho-renge-kyo, I found myself able to assign anything to myoho-renge-kyo (as if myoho-renge-kyo, as an analogy, were a variable). About two months ago, I was reading exodus chapter 20. As I was reading verse 8 (remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.), it dawn on me to assign the Sabbath day to myoho-renge-kyo, and to rest that day. Since then, the commandment makes perfect sense to me. That event (from sunset Friday evening to sunset Saturday evening) is my position in space-time. It is the source of positive entropy change whish , according to the second law of thermodynamics, is necessary to observe an apparent decrease in the first six days of the week.

Physics news on Phys.org
The closest I got to buddhism is when there where a few Hare Krishna types in orange robes on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood, chanting and dancing, playing with some small finger type symbols. The timing was just right for me and my friends to sing a few choruses of "Jingle Bells", which I found quite funny, but the folks in their orange robes didn't quite see it that way.

There was a similar chant among some Beatle fans right after the Beatles broke up, something like My Yoko Ono Revenge Kill.

Last edited:
Interesting, but it made my brain hurt, so...thread locked.

Back