Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I was just thinking

1. Jul 31, 2004 #1

Mk

BCS theory has been disproven, though still people use it to explain things,that's all. No, I don't remember where I read it. It was a credible source though, physicsweb.org, or scientific american...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2004 #2
    What is BCS again?

4. Jul 31, 2004 #3
    Maybe you are referring to the difficulty in explaining superconductivity in high-temperature superconductors by the BCS theory. However, this does not mean that BCS does not explain superconductivity in simple materials.

5. Aug 1, 2004 #4

Mk

No, it was something else. I don't remember.

6. Aug 1, 2004 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well then, this is all useless since you are simply throwing things out without justification, the same way you somehow got the idea that "phonons" must accompany any pair anhillation.

Go study what exactly is the BCS theory, and then look at why it is STILL being used in conventional superconductors, and why extension to it is still valid for LHe condensation. In fact, the recent discovery of the Fermionic condensation shows that there is a smooth crossover between the regimes of BEC and BCS. So it would be hilarious to say that BCS has been "disproven".

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?