I was just wondering is anyone here a neurologist?

• Thread starter Therian
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a neurologist and a neuroscientist, and mentions a thread on careers in biology where one can find more information about individuals with neuroscience backgrounds. It also encourages asking specific questions for more details.
Therian
I was just wondering is anyone here a neurologist?
Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
take a look at that thread started by i think moonbear on careers in biology. I don't know which subforum its in...but its there somehwere. There were a couple of people who studied the brain but i can't recall if any of them were actually neurologists(though i don't know if you call people who study animal brains that).

Typically the term "neurologist" is used by the medical field, while "neuroscientist" is used more in the scientific research realm, however the terms are not necessarily mutually exclusive. There are several people here with neuroscience backgrounds, so check the sticky thread on area of expertise and if you want more specifics, post a question.

1. What does a neurologist do?

A neurologist is a medical doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating disorders of the nervous system, including the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. They use a variety of techniques, such as imaging tests and neurological exams, to diagnose and manage conditions such as stroke, epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, and multiple sclerosis.

2. How do I know if I need to see a neurologist?

If you are experiencing symptoms related to the nervous system, such as headaches, dizziness, numbness, or difficulty with movement or coordination, it may be necessary to see a neurologist. Your primary care physician can also refer you to a neurologist if they suspect a neurological issue.

3. What are the typical qualifications of a neurologist?

Neurologists have completed medical school and a residency program in neurology. They are also required to pass a certification examination before they can practice. Some neurologists may also choose to pursue additional training in a specific subspecialty, such as neuromuscular disorders or sleep medicine.

4. Can a neurologist help with mental health issues?

While neurologists primarily focus on disorders of the nervous system, they may also address mental health issues that are related to neurological conditions. For example, a neurologist may prescribe medication or recommend therapy for depression or anxiety in someone with Parkinson's disease.

5. What should I expect during a visit to a neurologist?

During your first appointment with a neurologist, they will likely perform a comprehensive neurological exam to assess your symptoms and medical history. They may also order imaging tests, such as an MRI or CT scan, to aid in diagnosis. Treatment options will then be discussed based on the findings of the exam and tests.