I was so lost on this limits question. help please

In summary, a limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. To solve a limits question, one must use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, rationalization, and L'Hopital's rule while also understanding the properties and rules of limits. The purpose of finding a limit is to understand the behavior of a function and determine its value at a specific point, as well as to determine continuity, differentiability, and asymptotes. If struggling with a specific limits question, it is important to review the concept, practice, and seek help if needed. Tips for solving limits questions include understanding the concept and properties, practicing techniques, checking for mistakes, and breaking down the problem
vbplaya
I just had a midterm for my calc class and there was this one question that I spent a good 20 minutes on and could not figure out. can someone help me with the solution please?
lim x→0 (sin x²)/sin²x

I can do it using L'Hopitals rule, but that wasn't allowed :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
lim x→0 (sin x²)/sin²x = lim x→0 [(sin x²)/x²][x²/sin²x]

Use the Maclaurin's series for sinx and cosx.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. In simpler terms, a limit is the value that a function approaches as it gets closer and closer to a specific input.

2. How do you solve a limits question?

To solve a limits question, you need to use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, rationalization, and L'Hopital's rule. It is important to also understand the properties and rules of limits, such as the limit laws, to correctly solve a limits question.

3. What is the purpose of finding a limit?

The purpose of finding a limit is to understand the behavior of a function and to determine its value at a specific point or as it approaches a certain input. Limits are also useful in determining continuity, differentiability, and asymptotes of a function.

4. Why was I having trouble with this particular limits question?

There could be various reasons for struggling with a specific limits question. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept, not knowing the appropriate techniques to solve it, or making a mistake in the calculations. It is important to review the concept and practice solving similar problems to improve your skills.

5. Can you provide some tips for solving limits questions?

Some tips for solving limits questions include understanding the concept and properties of limits, practicing various techniques, checking for common mistakes, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and work through it systematically.