Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I watched a kid rip apart his laptop

1. Nov 20, 2004 #1
    So here's the setup: I'm walking out of taco bell in my college's union which exits through the gameroom. I sit down at a seat and watch some people play DDR and this kid comes up next to me (he was at least 18 but you'll see why I call him a kid in a moment) and thinks it would be fashionable to listen to music on his laptop while waiting to play on the machine. He flips the screen open and I notice he's silent next to me and proclaims "What the hell?! My screen is cracked!"

I didn't really know what to think but I was sure that he was about to do something stupid. He gets up and chucks the laptop in the trashcan. That's right: Because of a slightly cracked screen he throws his entire laptop away. He comes back 5 minutes later and proclaims he wanted to save the HDD so he proceeds to rip apart the laptop with his hands, damaging every single component inside (including ultimately the HDD which is now wet from the contents of the trash can).

At this point I was fairly pissed off that someone could just throw away a $1000 item but kept quiet. I glanced over and noticed there was a port that allowed for a monitor to be attached to the laptop and instantly became a little more angry at his wastefulness. I'm not hardcore into technology but I know for a fact that you can transplant LCD screens over with a little knowhow or just asking a computer repair technician. I didn't bother to tell him that though because it appeared to me it wasn't going to make him any less angry so I just walked out.

What are your thoughts on this kid? I still can't believe I saw that just yesterday.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2004 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Damn spoiled rich kids. They think everything's disposable.

Where was this? Pepperdine? :biggrin:

4. Nov 20, 2004 #3
    American way of life at its peak.

5. Nov 20, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd call it a nadir, but same intent. I don't know if there are more and more kids like that nowadays, or just that I notice them more than I used to. Spoiled brats.

6. Nov 20, 2004 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

A righteous sense of entitlement is not the American way; it is the way of a small, wealthy minority.

7. Nov 20, 2004 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

He's an idiot. What are your thoughts on the Ron Zook firing? I used to love Florida football under Spurrier.

8. Nov 20, 2004 #7
    Its not that there are more spoiled kids, its just that there are more morons with access to these kinds of things.

I know, i live in a dorm full of them.

9. Nov 20, 2004 #8
    I don't think he should have been fired in the middle of the season. I'm just glad he's carrying on as normal to an extent. He still did some good recruiting but I think he's getting shafted because the team is so young. I would have personally waited for another year to fire him but UF likes winning teams. I liked Spurrier football too. I think it's good he isn't coming back to UF because it could be analogous to when Michael Jordan came back to basketball the 3rd time: A part of his reputation eroded away when he stepped back on the court.

10. Nov 20, 2004 #9
    One Christmas I got a new laptop and my girlfriend at that time got mad at me and drop kicked it across the room. Shattered the screen. Had to hook it up to a monitor to use it, but used it that way for quite a while.

11. Nov 20, 2004 #10
    This small, wealthy minority being the peak of it. And the peak is getting higher.

12. Nov 20, 2004 #11
    There were more millionaires created this year than any other

13. Nov 20, 2004 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

And it isn't created millionaires who have this attitude. It is people born into money that don't appreciate the work done to make it.

14. Nov 20, 2004 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Umm, this didn't have anything to do with the carpet incident, did it? :rofl:

15. Nov 20, 2004 #14
    He could have just given it to someone instead of throwing it in the trash.

16. Nov 20, 2004 #15
    Most people are wasteful and this kid only seems wasteful from the perspective of the average individual. Many people discard food and waste energy because it's more convienient for them to leave lights on or not package leftovers. If this labtop was his equivalent to a penny I can't really blame him.

If I was in your situation I would've been angry too though.

17. Nov 20, 2004 #16
    tribdog willnever live that down. Thats twice in one week its been mentioned in different threads. Long live carpet welding!!!

18. Nov 20, 2004 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where do you find these psycho women? :bugeye:

19. Nov 20, 2004 #18
    I don't know where this kid got his laptop, but I'm betting his parents paid for it. I'm also betting that if they knew what he did, they'd have hit the roof. If my kid did that, I'm make her pay it off, or it would be the last thing she got for a very long time. If he were my kid, he'd live to regret it. Unfortunately, he's not.

And tribdog, I hope you made your girlfriend pay for that laptop, I'd have dumped her just based on that alone.

Childish and wasteful.

20. Nov 20, 2004 #19
    If a girlfriend had drop kicked a $1000+ computer, she had better have been breaking up with me, because it is childish, wasteful, not to mention disrespectful.

Of course then again, i suppose i should wonder what her reasons were. If this was in retaliation for cheating, beating her,or some other behavoir worthy of a $1000 penalty, my position softens considerably, though from your post it doesn't sound like that, and i would hope her reasons weren't like that...

21. Nov 20, 2004 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've got to say I completely agree with Zantra on everything. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior. Regardless of how much money you have, it is childish and wasteful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?