Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I wish I could take calculus again

1. Sep 10, 2004 #1
    it has been 3 semesters since I was finished with my calc and moved on to other mathematics like analysis and modern algebra....my calc skills have really degraded. any one know of a good website that has a nice range of calc problems I can use to keep me sharp (or even to help me get better int eh areas I was weak in) ? thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2004 #2

[tex]\int{e^{x^2}} dx[/tex]

[tex]\int{sin (x^2) dx[/tex]
  4. Sep 10, 2004 #3
    Hehe jk, whenever i feel i need to review necessary calculus i usually pick up my old text by James Stewart--- Calculus 5th edition or 4th edition or whatever....

Id search for a good text or just google it. Simple as that.
  5. Sep 10, 2004 #4
    the problem is that I hated my text book.
  6. Sep 10, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here is a nice one that tests a couple of basic skills of integration:

[tex]\int x\cosh^{-1} x dx[/tex]

I'll look around at a few of the sites my teachers gave me, what areas do you struggle with?
  7. Sep 10, 2004 #6
    hmm, Taylor series for sure (I recall doing the worst on that section) everything else is just equal degradation, you know....you see something and you know what to use, but you for got how to use it.... Calc Skills have not been a top priority for me since I finished calc 3 (even in real number analysis I did not need to press my self)

now I am in Linear Algebra (Finally...though that is not nearly as embarrassing as forgetting to take freshman statistics [I am a senior and have 2 classes left in upper level for my major to be complete] :-), that is sure to be fun, having to sit through stupid questions from people who have had no interest in math since...for ever!!)

so basically if I want to get out of college with a semblance of the skills that I had in calc when I was in the classes (and I will need it since I am going to teach it to smart high schoolers eventually) I have to hit my self with a problem or two a day to keep on the ball.
  8. Sep 11, 2004 #7

That integral seems like it should be done by parts--- set u = x and dv = cosh x, which is = 0.5*(e^x + e^-x). Too lazy to solve it out though!
  9. Sep 11, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Become a tutor. The best way to learn anything is to teach it.
  10. Sep 11, 2004 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll second that!
  11. Sep 12, 2004 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry no, you've read the integrand wrong, it should be x multiplied by inverse cosh of x.
  12. Sep 12, 2004 #11
    that is a good idea.

I thought about doing that last semester but never looked into it. But lets not say "learn" since the last thing a student wants is a teacher who does not know the subject :-)
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  13. Sep 12, 2004 #12
    Hardy's "A Course of Pure Math" is an awesome calculus book (for people who already know the stuff, I think) with all its evil integrals, etc. That book is jam-packed with all sorts of cool math "trivia" that is hard to fnd in any newer books. I guess Spivak's calculus text is good too, but not as good as Hardy's.
  14. Sep 12, 2004 #13
    It seems the book is hard to find, too. It isn't available at Amazon.
  15. Sep 12, 2004 #14
  16. Sep 12, 2004 #15
    Then what in the world was I looking at? Aw, it doesn't matter, I'm glad you found it for me. Thanks!
  17. Sep 12, 2004 #16

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

G.H. Hardy
    A Course of Pure Mathematics
    Cambridge University Press Trade Paperback. Good/None. 509 pages,indexed, THIRD EDITION, rubbed exterior, still well glued.
    Bookseller Inventory #3980

Price: US$ 10.00 (Convert Currency)
    Shipping: Rates & Speed

Bookseller: Westcott books, 2065 St. Catherine St. W., Montreal, PQ, Canada, H3H 1M3
    (Search this Bookseller's Books) (More Bookseller Information)

Terms of Sale: not yet determined
    Shipping Terms: Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required.

Accepted Payment Methods:
    - Visa
    - MasterCard
    - Cheque
    - Money Order
    - Cash
    - Paypal
    - Bank Draft
    - Bank/Wire Transfer
  18. Sep 13, 2004 #17
    This website is my favorite(next to this one) of all timeSOS MATH
  19. Sep 13, 2004 #18
    Exambot is a good place to get some printable worksheets on calculus.
  20. Sep 16, 2004 #19

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I do not like hardy's book (which i bought for $2. new) as well as either spivak's or courant's, or apostol's myself, as I am not as inetrested in a bunch of kinky integrals and old tripos problems from 1910. on the other hand, hardy's 2nd edition lives forever in my mind for its preface in which he apologizes for writing the first edition like a "missionary talking to cannibals", and explains that subsequent advances in mathematical education in cambridge made it possible for him to be more succint. Of course that meant to me, that I would prefer the first edition with its greater detail! still it is a great book, just not one i personally find it pertinent to refer to as often as courant, say.
  21. Sep 16, 2004 #20

Homework Helper

Mathwonk, what do you think about James Stewart's Calculus books?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?