I wish I could take calculus again

• Thread starter modmans2ndcoming
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation covers the topic of finding resources to practice and improve calculus skills. The participants discuss various websites and books that can be helpful, including James Stewart's Calculus book, Hardy's "A Course of Pure Mathematics", and SOS MATH. Some participants express their preference for certain books and discuss their experiences with different texts. Overall, they agree that practice and teaching are the best ways to improve and retain calculus skills.
modmans2ndcoming
it has been 3 semesters since I was finished with my calc and moved on to other mathematics like analysis and modern algebra...my calc skills have really degraded. anyone know of a good website that has a nice range of calc problems I can use to keep me sharp (or even to help me get better int eh areas I was weak in) ? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve:

[tex]\int{e^{x^2}} dx[/tex]

[tex]\int{sin (x^2) dx[/tex]

Hehe jk, whenever i feel i need to review necessary calculus i usually pick up my old text by James Stewart--- Calculus 5th edition or 4th edition or whatever...

Id search for a good text or just google it. Simple as that.

the problem is that I hated my textbook.

Here is a nice one that tests a couple of basic skills of integration:

[tex]\int x\cosh^{-1} x dx[/tex]

I'll look around at a few of the sites my teachers gave me, what areas do you struggle with?

hmm, Taylor series for sure (I recall doing the worst on that section) everything else is just equal degradation, you know...you see something and you know what to use, but you for got how to use it... Calc Skills have not been a top priority for me since I finished calc 3 (even in real number analysis I did not need to press my self)

now I am in Linear Algebra (Finally...though that is not nearly as embarrassing as forgetting to take freshman statistics [I am a senior and have 2 classes left in upper level for my major to be complete] :-), that is sure to be fun, having to sit through stupid questions from people who have had no interest in math since...for ever!)

so basically if I want to get out of college with a semblance of the skills that I had in calc when I was in the classes (and I will need it since I am going to teach it to smart high schoolers eventually) I have to hit my self with a problem or two a day to keep on the ball.

Z-

That integral seems like it should be done by parts--- set u = x and dv = cosh x, which is = 0.5*(e^x + e^-x). Too lazy to solve it out though!

Become a tutor. The best way to learn anything is to teach it.

HallsofIvy said:

I'll second that!

Theelectricchild said:
Z-

That integral seems like it should be done by parts--- set u = x and dv = cosh x, which is = 0.5*(e^x + e^-x). Too lazy to solve it out though!
Sorry no, you've read the integrand wrong, it should be x multiplied by inverse cosh of x.

that is a good idea.

HallsofIvy said:

I thought about doing that last semester but never looked into it. But let's not say "learn" since the last thing a student wants is a teacher who does not know the subject :-)

Last edited:
Hardy's "A Course of Pure Math" is an awesome calculus book (for people who already know the stuff, I think) with all its evil integrals, etc. That book is jam-packed with all sorts of cool math "trivia" that is hard to fnd in any newer books. I guess Spivak's calculus text is good too, but not as good as Hardy's.

fourier jr said:
Hardy's "A Course of Pure Math" is an awesome calculus book (for people who already know the stuff, I think) with all its evil integrals, etc. That book is jam-packed with all sorts of cool math "trivia" that is hard to fnd in any newer books. I guess Spivak's calculus text is good too, but not as good as Hardy's.

It seems the book is hard to find, too. It isn't available at Amazon.

Then what in the world was I looking at? Aw, it doesn't matter, I'm glad you found it for me. Thanks!

G.H. Hardy
A Course of Pure Mathematics
Cambridge University Press Trade Paperback. Good/None. 509 pages,indexed, THIRD EDITION, rubbed exterior, still well glued.
Bookseller Inventory #3980

Price: US$ 10.00 (Convert Currency)
Shipping: Rates & Speed

Bookseller: Westcott books, 2065 St. Catherine St. W., Montreal, PQ, Canada, H3H 1M3
(Search this Bookseller's Books) (More Bookseller Information)

Terms of Sale: not yet determined
Shipping Terms: Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required.

Accepted Payment Methods:
- Visa
- MasterCard
- Cheque
- Money Order
- Cash
- Paypal
- Bank Draft
- Bank/Wire Transfer

This website is my favorite(next to this one) of all timeSOS MATH

Exambot is a good place to get some printable worksheets on calculus.

I do not like hardy's book (which i bought for $2. new) as well as either spivak's or courant's, or apostol's myself, as I am not as inetrested in a bunch of kinky integrals and old tripos problems from 1910. on the other hand, hardy's 2nd edition lives forever in my mind for its preface in which he apologizes for writing the first edition like a "missionary talking to cannibals", and explains that subsequent advances in mathematical education in cambridge made it possible for him to be more succint. Of course that meant to me, that I would prefer the first edition with its greater detail! still it is a great book, just not one i personally find it pertinent to refer to as often as courant, say.

Mathwonk, what do you think about James Stewart's Calculus books?

Oooh that's what I used in my calc series at my school- stewart 5th ed early transcendentals... I liked it, great progression through the material, and the chapters on vector calculus and multiple integrals were great. Theres even a final chapter in there on 2nd order homogenous and non homogenous differential equations.

Cyclovenom said:
Mathwonk, what do you think about James Stewart's Calculus books?

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll tell you this anyway. I haven't heard very many good things about it, however, it is one of the books my calculus professor had recommended we get one if we want a book of that sort.

Thanks, Personally, I like James Stewarts Examples and it has a intermediate rigoruous calculus [At least 4th Edition], I know because i got another 3 books of Calculus:

1) Advanced Calculus by Wilfred Kaplan [9th Edition] (It's pretty complete as far as I've seen).

2) Elements of the differential and integral calculus by William Anthony Granville [Revised Edition] (It covers a lot of stuff and has very nice problems for the math majors, except it doesn't cover linear algebra)

3) University Calculus by Howard E. Taylor and Thomas L. Wade (I didn't bother to check it much, it seems nice, but it's just full of theorems, and exercises, it bores me to death... i mostly use it to check theorems and such...)

Althought it looks like Courant seems to be the best book to learn from... Maybe i will consider buying it.

Last edited:

1. What is calculus and why is it important to take it again?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is important to take it again because it is a fundamental subject that is used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

2. How can taking calculus again benefit me?

Taking calculus again can benefit you by improving your problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and quantitative reasoning. It can also open up opportunities for advanced studies and careers in various fields.

3. What are the common challenges in learning calculus and how can I overcome them?

Some common challenges in learning calculus include understanding the concepts and applying them to problem-solving, as well as keeping up with the pace of the course. To overcome these challenges, it is important to practice regularly, seek help from your teacher or peers, and break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to take calculus again?

While a strong math background can be helpful, it is not necessary to have one to take calculus again. It is important to have a good understanding of algebra and basic trigonometry, but with dedication and hard work, anyone can learn and excel in calculus.

5. How can I make the most out of retaking calculus?

To make the most out of retaking calculus, it is important to review and refresh your understanding of the basics, actively participate in class, and seek additional resources such as online tutorials and practice problems. It is also helpful to set specific goals and track your progress throughout the course.