Adding Exponential Trendline to Graphs: Struggling

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with adding an exponential trendline on multiple graphs in M$ Excel and suggests using the OpenOffice/LibreOffice Calc software as a free alternative. It also mentions the availability of extensive documentation and online help for this software. Some participants recommend trying this alternative, while others suggest sharing the .xlsx file for further assistance.
Eveline
Hi,
I need help to add an exponential trendline on my graph. I have three graphs and I have succeeded with the first one but somehow the exponential trendline will not show on the two other graphs even though I have selected the option multiple times. I also tried to re-do the graph in a new document but it did not work...
Please help me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
M$ Excel is a for-profit product, so that anyone that has developed expertise will expect to recoup their costs.

I suggest a Free Open Source Software alternative in OpenOffice/LibreOffice, their Calc application (VERY similar to Excel), and their extensive documentation and on-line help. Indeed, they are so similar that on-line help may suffice.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Seems like a shot with closed eyes. Unless it has confidential data, you should share the .xlsx at least.

I agree, at least partially, with Doug. Based on my own experience, unless you need PowerPoint all the time (or Publisher, or OneNote, or whatever-libreoffice-does-not-offer), you could give it a try. I see a good amount of people around me making the change and liking it. Word to Writer and Excel to Calc are really easy changes.

1. How do I add an exponential trendline to my graph?

To add an exponential trendline to your graph, first select the data series you want to add the trendline to. Then, right-click on the data and select "Add Trendline". In the "Trendline Options" menu, choose "Exponential" as the trendline type. The trendline will then be added to your graph.

2. What does an exponential trendline represent?

An exponential trendline represents a curved line on a graph that follows an exponential growth or decay pattern. This means that the data is increasing or decreasing at a constantly increasing rate, rather than a constant rate like a linear trendline.

3. How do I interpret an exponential trendline?

The steepness of an exponential trendline indicates the rate of change of the data. A steeper trendline means a faster rate of change, while a flatter trendline means a slower rate of change. The y-intercept of the trendline represents the starting value of the data, and the x-axis represents the time or independent variable.

4. Can I add an exponential trendline to any type of data?

An exponential trendline can be added to any dataset that shows exponential growth or decay. This type of trendline is commonly used for scientific and financial data, such as population growth, bacterial growth, or stock prices.

5. How can I improve the fit of my exponential trendline?

If your data does not perfectly fit the exponential trendline, you can try adjusting the trendline type or using a different type of regression analysis. You can also try transforming your data to make it more linear, which may result in a better fit for a linear trendline. Additionally, adding more data points to your graph may improve the fit of your trendline.