Finding Density Without Volume: Help Needed

• Thread starter prokoro
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding density for different solid objects such as a wood cube, wood cylinder, and aluminum cube. The person is looking for an equation to calculate density without knowing the volume. They mention not being able to use the formula D=mass/volume and only being able to measure length, width, and mass in their physics lab class. Another person, Gale 17, suggests using the equations for density of a rectangular prism, cube, and cylinder, which all involve the formula density = mass / volume. The person is grateful for Gale 17's help and confirms that these equations are applicable to their situation.
prokoro
Please, can you help me I need to help to find density for solid cube and cylinders ex.wood cube,wood cylinders, aluminum cube. I need to find density without the volume. I looking for the equation to work out the problems.

I can't use D=mass/volume

I have no volume to calculate
because we only measure the length, width and mass
in our physics lab class.

Thank you

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rectangular prism-
Density= mass/(length*width*height)

Cube-
Density= mass/width cubed

Cylinder
Density= mass/(pi*radius squared*height)

Or do those not count??

Thank-You

Thank-you Gale 17, I can use these equations they do count.

Incidentally, the formulae Gale listed are density = mass / volume.

What is density and why is it important?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. It is important because it can help identify and distinguish different substances, and is used in various scientific and practical applications such as determining the purity of a substance or predicting the behavior of materials.

Can density be calculated without knowing the volume?

Yes, it is possible to find density without directly measuring the volume. This can be done by using the mass and dimensions of an object, or by using other methods such as displacement or Archimedes' principle.

What are some common methods for finding density without volume?

Some common methods include using the mass and dimensions of an object, measuring the displacement of a liquid when an object is immersed in it, and using Archimedes' principle which involves comparing the weight of an object in air and in water.

Is finding density without volume accurate?

The accuracy of finding density without volume depends on the method used and the precision of the measurements taken. Generally, using multiple methods and averaging the results can improve the accuracy.

Can density be used to identify unknown substances?

Yes, density is often used as a characteristic property to help identify unknown substances. By comparing the calculated density with known densities of different substances, it can help narrow down the possible identities of the substance in question.