Exploring Time & Space: How Close Is Now?

• Thread starter UnBoxedCat
  • Start date
In summary, the further away an object is, the further back in time it appears to be. However, this does not necessarily mean that the closer an object is, the closer it is to now. Another question raised is whether two objects of equal size, traveling towards each other at equal velocity and decreasing in size at the same rate, would ever meet. This is a variation of Zeno's First Paradox and can be explored further. Additionally, sending a letter and receiving it three days later does not necessarily mean one is three days in the past, as distance and time have different dimensions. Finally, all news is technically old news, as it takes time for information to travel. When measuring the distance of light from the furthest galaxies
UnBoxedCat
When is now?

The further away an object is, the further back in time it appears to be. So does this mean the closer an object is, the more closer it is to now?

Which brought up another question, as i lapsed between dreamland and the noise of the dogs barking and running around with squeeky toys! If there are 2 objects of equal size traveling towards each other at equal velocity (i imagined 2 spheres), and at the same time decreasing in size, at the same rate... would they ever meet?

As you probably guess by the simplicity and probably ignorant questions... I'm new to physics (as in, I've never studied or read anything about the subject). But I just had to ask these questions before they fried my brain. This seems to be the best place to ask.

Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
about those spheres, just assume some radius and velocity and calculate urself if they will reach each-other...

UnBoxedCat said:
When is now?

The further away an object is, the further back in time it appears to be. So does this mean the closer an object is, the more closer it is to now?

Which brought up another question, as i lapsed between dreamland and the noise of the dogs barking and running around with squeeky toys! If there are 2 objects of equal size traveling towards each other at equal velocity (i imagined 2 spheres), and at the same time decreasing in size, at the same rate... would they ever meet?

As you probably guess by the simplicity and probably ignorant questions... I'm new to physics (as in, I've never studied or read anything about the subject). But I just had to ask these questions before they fried my brain. This seems to be the best place to ask.

Scott

For your first question, both time and distance are considered to be dimensions, but distance has two directions whereas time only has one (i. e., "time's arrow").

For your second question, this appears to be a variation on Zeno's First Paradox. Google on it for some interesting discussions.

By the way, questions like these will not fry your brain. They will stretch it!

The further away an object is, the further back in time it appears to be.

A bit vague. Are you referring to the fact that light that reaches you from far away is "old light" in the sense that is was sent off a time of [itex]\frac{\textrm{distance}}{\textrm{speed of light}}[/itex] seconds ago?

For the spheres problem, they will meet. Just replace either of sphere with a point particle. Two point particles traveling head on towards each other will meet if their velocities are equal, opposite in direction and constant.

The reason I am considering point particles here is that if the spheres keeps decreasing, they will eventually approach the size of a point particle.

Last edited:
Consider these two points;

-I've I post a letter to you and you receive it three days later am I three days in the past?
-Two balloons are blown up then released without having a knot tied in them. They are propelled towards each other expanding air as they go. What will happen?

All news is old news. It takes time for all information to travel from A to B so, whatever you find out about what's happening somewhere, it's really information about how things were some while ago. Even for a spacing of 1m, there is a delay of about 3ns.
Take that Supernova that 'we' observed last week. IS it happening as we watch? One could say so - the same as when we watch a feature film. The action we see on the film is 'happening' now, for us.

Some interesting and mind boggling stuff to consider. Thank you. I'm still not sure if I'm further from, or nearer to the answers.
When we measure the light distance from the furthest galaxies... is this the measure of how old the universe is?
If the universe were to shrink, at what point would everything become nearest the point of now? At the point of were galaxies are the size of particles?

1. What is the concept of time and space?

The concept of time and space refers to the physical and temporal dimensions in which all objects and events exist. Time is the progression of events from the past, through the present, and into the future. Space is the three-dimensional expanse in which all things exist and move.

2. What is the relationship between time and space?

The relationship between time and space is complex and still not fully understood. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space are intertwined and can be affected by the presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars. Time can also be affected by the speed at which an object is traveling.

3. How do scientists study time and space?

Scientists study time and space through a variety of methods, including observation, experimentation, and mathematical models. They use instruments such as telescopes, satellites, and particle accelerators to gather data and make observations about the universe.

4. How close are we to understanding time and space?

We have made significant advancements in our understanding of time and space, but there is still much that remains a mystery. Scientists continue to study and explore these concepts, and new discoveries and theories are constantly emerging. It is an ongoing process, and we may never fully understand the complexities of time and space.

5. How does our understanding of time and space impact our daily lives?

Our understanding of time and space has led to the development of technologies that have greatly improved our daily lives. From GPS systems to satellite communication, our understanding of these concepts has allowed us to navigate and communicate more effectively. It has also led to advancements in fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering.