Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I wonder what will happen if atom with no electrons will touch one with electrons

1. Oct 25, 2014 #1
    Well, when 2 atoms get close, we don't feel the touch between them but the forces between electrons. So what will happen if there's atom with no electrons, so any other atom with electrons will be able to really "touch" it( because there would be no force between electrons). What will happen then?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is an atom without electrons?

4. Oct 26, 2014 #3
    Atom that has no electrons, let's say the H will "give" the 1 he has, will he stay with no electrons I guess?

5. Oct 26, 2014 #4

Borek

Charge?

6. Oct 26, 2014 #5
    Is it possible for an atom to have no electrons?

7. Oct 26, 2014 #6

jim mcnamara

Yes. Borek wants you to mention ( or look up) "states of matter". There are four. He does not want solid, liquid, or gas, so it must be ______

8. Oct 26, 2014 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What would happen if you tried to force two atoms together, each of which was positively charged?

9. Oct 28, 2014 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An atom with no electrons is called a 'nucleus'. What can happen when you force two together is a large part of nuclear physics which relieves us here of a duty to respond because this is the wrong forum. :D
    One thing I know can happen is they just bounce off each other. If I am not mistaken for more complicated things to happen the collisions have to be at such high energies that it doesn't matter whether the electrons of an atom are there or not. So the question might be put in another forum, but I don't think there is a very brief answer.

10. Oct 28, 2014 #9

Borek

So far nobody used word I was hoping for - ion. Ions are charged. Ions made by stripping electrons from the neutral atoms are positive. That points to the simplest possible answer about how they will interact. I doubt OP wanted anything more elaborate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook