I would really like to get a jump on calculus before next semester

In summary, if you are looking for a rigorous calculus course that will teach everything that is covered in the real class, then MIT's OpenCourseWare calculus class is a good option.
Miike012
I would really like to get a jump on calculus before next semester when I take calculus... The calc book that I am currently reading is ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486404536/?tag=pfamazon01-20 . I want another calc book to read to. I don't want calculus for dummies or any book like that... I rather have a book that goes indepth..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Go to EBay or a used bookstore someplace and buy an out of date older version of something like Thomas' calculus book. Should be dirt cheap and plenty good enough. Newer isn't better.

I hurd of a book by Michael Spivak... is that good?

The reason why I don't want to just go buy a book is because I did that... I bought a calc textbook ( an older one ) and it isn't indepth... and the other book that I showed you is a more indepth but I want something harder.

I learned from Stewart's book, I thought it did a good job. Have you looked at that one?

Thats the book our school uses... I have not looked through it. My guesses are it will probably be the same as the textbook I have ... but Ill take a look...

Miike012 said:
I hurd of a book by Michael Spivak... is that good?

You mean "heard". Yes, Spivak's book is excellent, but depending on your abilities at this stage you may find it more of a challenge than you want.

Did you start off with a book as hard as Spivaks? or something easier?

Miike012 said:
Did you start off with a book as hard as Spivaks? or something easier?

Who, me? Use the quote button to make it clear to whom you are addressing the question.

If you are asking me, I took calculus before there was a Spivak book and didn't encounter a deep analysis until I took advanced calculus out of Louis Brand's book as a Junior.

LCKurtz said:
Who, me? Use the quote button to make it clear to whom you are addressing the question.

If you are asking me, I took calculus before there was a Spivak book and didn't encounter a deep analysis until I took advanced calculus out of Louis Brand's book as a Junior.

Sorry, I thought it was obviouse since we are the only ones in here having a conversation...

So your saying that Michael Spivaks book is really that hard ?

Miike012 said:
Sorry, I thought it was obviouse since we are the only ones in here having a conversation...

So your saying that Michael Spivaks book is really that hard ?

You mean "you're". I don't know of any University that used Spivak for their standard first calculus course but that doesn't mean some didn't. It simply wasn't a standard text because most professors would agree that it isn't designed for the general first year calculus audience.

That isn't to say that you wouldn't benefit by it. It might be just exactly what you are looking for if you think the standard texts are not rigorous enough.

Another text if you want a really careful presentation is the classical older text "Calculus" by Tom Apostol. Probably available in your campus library.

Thanks LCkurtz, I will have to look into both of those books.

I'd like to second the recommendation for Apostol's Calculus. It's a good book even for the beginner. It essentially assumes you know nothing about calculus and builds it completely up from the ground while at the same time being quite rigorous

JaluNelly said:
hey guys, I really need help as soon as possible with this task
t (days)

w(t) (degrees Celsius)
the temperature, in degrees Celsius, of the water in a pond is a differentiable funcition W of time t. The table above shows the water temperature as recorded every 3 days over a 15-day period.

use data from the table to find an approximation for W'(12). Show the computations that lead to your answer. Indicate units of measure.

I am sooo lost :'(
Please, can anybody help me?
Start a new thread.

To OP:
I learned a lot from MIT's OpenCourseWare calculus class. It's free. It doesn't cover everything, but what is taught by the book the real class requires, can easily be learned from Wikipedia.

What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving problems in areas such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

How can I prepare for calculus before next semester?

You can prepare for calculus by reviewing and practicing basic algebra and trigonometry concepts. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the fundamental principles of calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

What resources are available to help me learn calculus?

There are many resources available to help you learn calculus, including textbooks, online courses, videos, and practice problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions offered by your school.

Do I need to have a strong math background to succeed in calculus?

Having a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is beneficial for understanding calculus, but it is not necessarily required. With dedication and practice, anyone can succeed in calculus.

What can I expect from a calculus course?

In a calculus course, you can expect to learn about limits, derivatives, and integrals, as well as their applications in real-world problems. The course will also involve a lot of problem-solving and critical thinking. It is important to stay organized and keep up with the material to succeed in the course.