Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iam despair and sad

1. Oct 29, 2010 #1
    hi
    my name is hager
    iam from egypt
    please help me iam very despair

i want to ask you aquestion

whats the better to learn american english or british english
    i want to be searcher in physics and to travel abroad

and in my whole life

whats honestly the better thing to me please help me?

without prejudice

thaaaaank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2010 #2
    Try movies with English subtitles.

4. Oct 29, 2010 #3
    It is the same. Just learn some English please. I think it is forbidden to post here in a language different from it and in an incomprehensible manner.

5. Oct 29, 2010 #4
    I don't believe it matters what English you choose to use.

And Dickfore, its not forbidden, it is just easier if we all understand each other.

6. Oct 29, 2010 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have no idea if I use British or American English. I try to be consistent and use American spelling of "*or" instead of "*our" to save on vovels, but that's all.

7. Oct 29, 2010 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like others have said, it doesn't matter. The differences are very small, Yanks understand Brits and vice versa with little difficulty.

Just don't learn the Scottish accent, no one can understand it. I'm almost convinced they don't even understand each other, they've been faking it for centuries :wink:.

8. Oct 29, 2010 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely British. :smile:

9. Oct 29, 2010 #8
    The problem with British English is that they use the wrong words for some things. Instead of elevator or apartment, they say lift or flat. They also mispell words. Instead of color or flavor, they write colour our flavour. Finally, their accent is funny. You don't want to end up sounding like the gecko. Therefore, here is what I advise. See how many language schools in Cairo teach American English, and how many teach British English. If there is big difference, go with the larger number.

10. Oct 29, 2010 #9
    i had no idea people made the distinction between the two.

I guess there must also be southern american english, New Yorker english, midwestern american english, and so on...

seems ridiculous to me.

11. Oct 29, 2010 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends what journal you will be submitting your work to :tongue: In reality I don't think it really matters, as long that you understand what the differences are (color vs colour).

My internet browser has a spelling checker built-in and it uses American English as a reference. I think it is very handy, it regularly alerts me that my spelling is off :smile:

12. Oct 29, 2010 #11
    The biggest difference between the American and British version of English is the accent.

If a person from any other country learns to speak English they are most likely to have an accent peculiar to their own first language.

My daughter-in-law is from England and I have to tell her to speak slower. She usually leaves out a consonant in the middle of the word, especially r's and t's.

13. Oct 29, 2010 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She wouldn't be from Yorkshire would she?

14. Oct 29, 2010 #13

drizzle

Gold Member

Seconded.

Lol Lisa; 'they've been faking it for centuries'

15. Oct 29, 2010 #14
    Irish is the worst, they can go on for ages without breathing and don't appear to have said anything.

Could always try going for a Glasgow accent, think of it as "learning to communicate with whales".
    Wrong words? I'm taking that whole paragraph as a joke. On that note though, I'd be more concerned about most Americans pronounciation issues, such as aluminium without the final i (aluminum)? Or nuclear as nukular?
    Definitely. Where "the" is pronounced "t'"!

I'm Welsh, definitely not an accent you want to adopt. Go with the classic movie english guy accent and you can go around sounding like all the classic bad guys!

This whole "in despair" rubbish, I'd let it go, not exactly a major problem and definitely not something you should be in despair about. You obviously know *some* English so I'd just build on what you have.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  16. Oct 29, 2010 #15

Dembadon

Gold Member

new-clear.jpg

:biggrin:

On topic:

I don't think it matters either way, hager. Learn whichever one is the most accessible to you; as others have pointed out, the differences between the two are negligible.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  17. Oct 29, 2010 #16
    Awesome! :rofl:

18. Oct 29, 2010 #17
    British English makes you sound posher... but either way find a teacher who speaks clear english.

19. Oct 29, 2010 #18
    Depends on the accent. I'm Welsh and sound distinctly not posh.

Only the upper/ upper-middle class English makes you sound posh. (Most people describe you as a 'snob' if you sound like that. (Sorry if anyone here has said accent, but it's true).

20. Oct 29, 2010 #19

drizzle

Gold Member

I'll advise the OP to go for the Geordie accent! :devil: Ops, I mean o:)

:biggrin:

21. Oct 29, 2010 #20
    Seconded! :tongue:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook