Who Won the 200m Freestyle Showdown: Ian Thorpe or Michael Phelps?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, Ian Thorpe won the 200m freestyle swimming showdown against defending champion Pieter van den Hoogenband, while Michael Phelps settled for the bronze medal. Phelps was aiming for 8 gold medals, but Thorpe's performance was better. China's Luo Xuejean surprised everyone by beating Australia's Leisel Jones in the women's 100m breaststroke. Phelps ultimately won 3 gold medals, while Thorpe won 2. The US won the Men's 4x200m freestyle, disappointing the Aussies. Liesel Jones was a huge disappointment in the 200m breaststroke. The Chinese and Japanese have been impressive in the pool, while Sara Carrigan's win in cycling was enjoyable to
Saint
Ian Thorpe overcame defending champ Pieter van den Hoogenband to win Monday's swimming showdown in the 200 freestyle. Michael Phelps ended with Brinze medal.

I think Phelps is too bombastic to aim for 8 gold medals,
Thorpe swam much better than him. :biggrin:

For the women's 100m breaststroke , china's Luo Xuejean beat Leisel Jones of australia.
Surprise :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't think Thorpe was going to be able to do it, because my impression from the earlier races was that he had lost some ground since the last Olympics. But still, Phelps was never favoured to win the 200m freestyle.

Leisel Jones was a huge disappointment. Her typically slow start off the blocks was even worse than usual, and so she was never going to gun down Luo. She has a better chance, I think, in the 200m. That's where her redemption lies.

Aaron Piersol is a champion. That guy never looks like he is going to lose.

Tonight should be interesting with the Men's 4x200m freestyle, and the Men's 200m butterfly. The Aussies should win the former (although their lame performance in the 4x100m doesn't fill me with much confidence in making that prediction), and Phelps should win the latter, although he'll have some company near the finish, particularly with that British guy whose name I forget.

Well Phelps beat Thorpe in the 200m butterfly. Unfortunately. Thorpe got bronze though, so at least it is a medal.

OoooOOOOOoooops... that wasnt Thorpe, that was Perry... my bad! :redface:

It was the hyper media that was going for 8 gold medals, not Phelps! Every time the topic comes up, Phelps has restated that his goal was to get ONE gold medal. The fact that he was a contender for up to 8 medals has gotten blown out of proportion. Depending on who you listen to, he only had a serious chance for four or five golds, all of them by rather slim margins.

NBC just wanted another Spitz to report on. Phelps' style in front of the media has hardly been bombastic. He's no Gary Hall.

Phelps won another 2 gold medals last night,
now totally he got 3 golds.
Thorpe got 2 golds.

We didn't snag the 4x200 cragwolf :(
Yanks did us...

Liesel was a MASSIVE dissapointment. The Chinese certainly are on course to perform at the Beijing Olympics I should think and I have been very impressed with a lot of Japanese performances in the pool.

how good was Sara Carrigans' win in the cycling?? I'm not usually up for sitting through hours of cycling but I certainly enjoyed that race.

I don't think this should be turned into a Thorpe vs Phelps thread. Phelps is a fine freestyler and a great butterflyer. Thorpe is a great freestyler. Both have been very successful in these games.

Well, another Aussie disappointment, this time in the 4x200m. I think they lost it in Hackett's leg, and the last 30m of Klim's leg. Thorpe did an incredible job in his leg, and the other guy did a very good job. The US just have that something extra. I'm not so confident in Leisel winning the 200m breaststroke now; her opponents are too good. I think the Aussie women might be able to grab one or two more golds, and Hackett should win the 1500m, so I think there will be a total of 6 or 7 golds in the swimming for the Aussies. The US will get more than that; they just have a lot more depth.

I think Phelps will win more medals than Thorpe.

Malaysia's badminton lost all games, came back empty handed!
China could have won more medals if her athletes did not make mistake such as in men's diving.

The gold winner of olympic of US, will they be given MONEY when they returned home?

Depending on their stature and their physique (sex appeal) they will get contracts to appear as speakers or in pictures. Many will be pictured on cereal boxes, several will appear in swimsuits and underwear etc.

Some gold medalists will get squat (nothing, f**k all) because they did not get media coverage and they might not be photogenic. In short, the US government does NOT pay the gold medalists anything, but corporate contracts can made some of them very rich. Phelps, for one, will be very happy.

PS: TYLER! TYLER!

The gold winner of olympic of US, will they be given MONEY when they returned home?

They aren't the only Country doing this. You seem surprised, but you shouldn't be.

http://www.couchmaster.ca/qod/index.cfm?qod_id=282

Russian wrestlers and boxers will get the equivalent of $100,000 (U.S.) for winning a gold medal, while all other gold medalists will get $50,000 and a further $50,000 if they break a world record in winning the event reports the Globe & Mail.

A U.S. athlete will get $25,000 for a gold medal, $15,000 for a silver and $10,000 for a bronze.

The Japanese Olympic Committee is dishing out the equivalent of $35,750 for a gold medal in canoeing, $23,830 for a silver and $11,915 for a bronze. A gold medal in table tennis, which would mean the Japanese would defeat the powerful Chinese, is worth $236,320.

Romania will pay the equivalent of $86,000 for a gold medal.

Ukraine doesn't have the big bucks apparently: The are offering a medalist a free apartment.

Canada doesn't pay Canadians for medals. They're solely out there just to represent their Country, maybe bring back a medal and support their sport.

Depending on their stature and their physique (sex appeal) they will get contracts to appear as speakers or in pictures. Many will be pictured on cereal boxes, several will appear in swimsuits and underwear etc.

Amanda Beard and Jennie Finch are examples.

Some gold medalists will get squat (nothing, f**k all) because they did not get media coverage and they might not be photogenic. In short, the US government does NOT pay the gold medalists anything, but corporate contracts can made some of them very rich.

Wrong.

As you can see above, the US gives $25,000 for a gold medal, $15,000 for a silver and $10,000 for a bronze.

Phelps, for one, will be very happy.

Speedo offered Phelps $1,000,000USD if he could get 8 Golds. He couldn't, so he doesn't get the cash.

He didn't seem very happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
why Aaron Peirsol was disqualified

I just did a google, and it seems as if things have changed from the old days. So yeah, now they do get a chunk of cash for their medals. Can't say I like that approach.
Minor point though: the USOC is not a branch of the government. It is a chartered organization that operates under congressional scrutiny. Their money is raised primarily through corporate sponsorship rather than taxes. So, by way of extreme technicality, I wasn't totally wrong!

Phelps got 5 golds, he is the greatest swimmer in this session of olympic.

Sigh, at least get the numbers right: Phelps got six gold medals.

1. How did Ian Thorpe beat Michael Phelps?

Ian Thorpe beat Michael Phelps by using his natural speed and strong technique in the 200m freestyle race at the 2004 Olympics. He was also able to maintain a consistent pace throughout the race, while Phelps struggled with his turns and ended up finishing second.

2. What made Ian Thorpe a better swimmer than Michael Phelps in this race?

Ian Thorpe had a natural advantage in the 200m freestyle race as it was his specialty event. He also had a larger wingspan and was able to use his powerful kick to gain an advantage over Phelps. Additionally, Thorpe had more experience and confidence in this particular race, having won multiple gold medals in it before.

3. Was this the only race where Ian Thorpe beat Michael Phelps?

No, Ian Thorpe and Michael Phelps competed against each other in multiple races throughout their careers. However, the 2004 Olympics 200m freestyle race was the only time that Thorpe beat Phelps in this particular event.

4. Did Ian Thorpe's victory over Michael Phelps have any significant impact on their rivalry?

The victory of Ian Thorpe over Michael Phelps in the 200m freestyle race at the 2004 Olympics added another layer to their already intense rivalry. It showed that Thorpe was still a dominant force in the swimming world and that Phelps would have to work harder to beat him in future races.

5. What was the reaction of the swimming community to Ian Thorpe beating Michael Phelps?

The swimming community was surprised and impressed by Ian Thorpe's victory over Michael Phelps. Many recognized it as a significant moment in the sport and praised Thorpe for his strong performance. There was also excitement and anticipation for future races between the two swimmers.

Back