1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IB Math Methods questions

1. Sep 9, 2003 #1
    I've been working on these problems for a long time trying to prove to myself that I'm not stupid (though I am convinced I am because I don't feel like "IB material" at the moment), but this will be impossible since I have other things to do. So, my two questions are these:

1. An arithmetic sequence has a common difference of 2 and a sum of 120. The first term is numerically equal to the number of terms. FInd all possible values of hte first.

I know that the answer is 8 because it is a multiple choice question and through elimination, the others aren't possible, but I don't understand how to prove this mathematically.

2. Determine Sn of the series 4 + 10 + 16 + 22+...+ (6n - 2).

I tried to solve this one, but when I did, the n's cancelled out, making it "all real numbers" and since (6n - 2) is the last term, the series isn't infinite.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2003 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

1) The series is: [sum] [ x + 2*y] from y = 0 to x-1

To solve an arithmetic series it is 1/2 times the size of the series times the quanity of the first term plus the second

Sn = (1/2) * n * ( a1 + a2 )

the first term you know is the number of terms in the series and the last term is equal to n+2*(n-1) based on the equation.

So..

Sn = (1/2) * n * ( n + [ n + 2*(n-1) ] )

Then you solve Sn = 120

And you get n = 8 and -7.5

2) I'm unsure what your asking

the series is
    [sum] 6x-2 from x=1 to ?

your saying the series isn't infinite, so what is it?

if the series goes from x=1 to infinity then the series diverges

4. Sep 9, 2003 #3
    Thanks for the help on the first question. I was assuming the series was finite because (6x - 2) is the last term in the series. Another question: I don't understand how -7.5 can be relevent because it says that n is equal to the number of terms, but there can't be -7.5 terms... can there????

5. Sep 9, 2003 #4
    I think that what the question for is the sum as a function of n.

Sn = F(n)

What you would do is write out the summation, and then use the rules that you know to reduce it into a formula.

For example:

[sum]c from i=0 to n = cn (c is a constant
    [sum]i from i=0 to n = 1/2(i+1)*i

6. Sep 10, 2003 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Astronomer107: -7.5 can occur in a quasi-hyperdimesion manifold, that is forumalated by using the....

No, you are right, -7.5 isn't an answer. (Only in my imagination)

Also, what are the choices for question 2.

Is there an answer: n*(3*n+1)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?