[IB] Physics Extended Essay

In summary: I will look into simulations more. Unfortunately my knowledge of air resistance is very limited....I will look into simulations more.
Sewager
Sorry I didn't post this using the template :c, since this is not a Physics problem to solve.

Hello everyone, I hope this is the right section to ask this..

I am in a program called International Baccalaureate and I need to write a 4000 word essay on Physics. My investigation is related to 2D badminton projectiles, and my aim is to find an equation to calculate how much velocity is needed for a birdie to travel to the back boundary line of a court, given its position.

I have a hypothesis and I am comparing the it to the real world situation by using video analysis. I am wondering if this lab is sophisticated enough for an extended essay, since it is not a typical investigation on how one variable

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sewager said:
Sorry I didn't post this using the template :c, since this is not a Physics problem to solve.

Hello everyone, I hope this is the right section to ask this..

I am in a program called International Baccalaureate and I need to write a 4000 word essay on Physics. My investigation is related to 2D badminton projectiles, and my aim is to find an equation to calculate how much velocity is needed for a birdie to travel to the back boundary line of a court, given its position.

I have a hypothesis and I am comparing the it to the real world situation by using video analysis. I am wondering if this lab is sophisticated enough for an extended essay, since it is not a typical investigation on how one variable

How are you going to do the calculation? Are you going to use simulations to try to model the flight? Or are you going to try to come up with a complicated formula for the air resistance of the shuttlecock as a function of velocity?

http://e08595.medialib.glogster.com...a2a0e101281130cae32badee0a197/shuttlecock.jpg
shuttlecock.jpg

berkeman said:
How are you going to do the calculation? Are you going to use simulations to try to model the flight? Or are you going to try to come up with a complicated formula for the air resistance of the shuttlecock as a function of velocity?

http://e08595.medialib.glogster.com...a2a0e101281130cae32badee0a197/shuttlecock.jpg
shuttlecock.jpg
Hello! The calculation is just solving kinematic equations for 2d projectile which excludes air resistance. I am comparing this equation with how birdie travels realistically by doing video analysis. Do you think this qualifies as a valid physics lab?

Sewager said:
which excludes air resistance

That makes no sense.

Air resistance is so extremely important here that every calculation excluding it is completely pointless.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
That makes no sense.

mfb said:
Air resistance is so extremely important here that every calculation excluding it is completely pointless.

Thank you for your comments. I have added air resistance in my hypothesis now. Do you have any other suggestions?

Sewager said:
I have added air resistance in my hypothesis now. Do you have any other suggestions?

Then that brings me back to my original questions...

berkeman said:

:smile:

berkeman said:
Then that brings me back to my original questions...

The hypothesis, or the calculation is done as a function:

V = f(position, hit angle)

where V is the initial velocity needed for the birdie to travel back so that it lands just at the back boundary line
position is the position of the birdie
hit angle is the angle at which the racket is going to hit the birdie

The real life situation is a video recording of a player hitting the birdie towards the back boundary line. The data of the birdie is extracted using Video Analysis on Logger Pro.

And finally, this report compares the hypothesis with the real life situation in the conclusion.

Really appreciate your help! Thanks!

But my point is that the air resistance effects on a shuttlecock are very complex, including velocity regions with turbulent and laminar flow. Finding or deriving such an equation will be a difficult task, I believe. You might get better accuracy running simulations of the shuttlecock at different velocities, and then using a program to do a discrete simulation of the flight of the shuttlecock.

What experience do you have working with projectile motion subject to air resistance? Like this, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_resistance

berkeman said:
But my point is that the air resistance effects on a shuttlecock are very complex, including velocity regions with turbulent and laminar flow. Finding or deriving such an equation will be a difficult task, I believe. You might get better accuracy running simulations of the shuttlecock at different velocities, and then using a program to do a discrete simulation of the flight of the shuttlecock.

What experience do you have working with projectile motion subject to air resistance? Like this, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_resistance
Unfortunately my knowledge of air resistance is very limited. The worst case would be assuming the birdie to be a sphere, and add uncertainties to the function. I believe my teachers would be fine with that.

When you mention simulation, do you mean to create a computer simulation from scratch? Or does such program already exist for grab?

Sewager said:
Unfortunately my knowledge of air resistance is very limited. The worst case would be assuming the birdie to be a sphere, and add uncertainties to the function. I believe my teachers would be fine with that.

When you mention simulation, do you mean to create a computer simulation from scratch? Or does such program already exist for grab?

There are simulation programs for fluid dynamics (aerodynamics) that exist. They tend to be pretty expensive, but perhaps your school has access to some of the packages. Check with your Fluid Dynamics department to find out. One such program is COMSOL Multiphysics:

http://www.comsol.com/comsol-multiphysics?gclid=CO65q83pzMcCFcOBfgod9hsLJg

berkeman said:
There are simulation programs for fluid dynamics (aerodynamics) that exist. They tend to be pretty expensive, but perhaps your school has access to some of the packages. Check with your Fluid Dynamics department to find out. One such program is COMSOL Multiphysics:

http://www.comsol.com/comsol-multiphysics?gclid=CO65q83pzMcCFcOBfgod9hsLJg

Woah! That is very impressive! By the looks of it, this is way beyond my capabilities haha. I will see what I can do, thanks for your help!

One thing you might do is see if you can find some wind tunnel data for shuttlecocks. You may be able to find some curves of drag force versus velocity that others have produced via wind tunnel testing. You can use those curves in your program to calculate the distance the shuttlecock travels. Your program would use time steps of, say, 10 milliseconds apart, and calculate the change in velocity due to height change and due to wind drag. By doing that with enough steps (fine enough granularity), you could get a pretty accurate flight path drawn out.

Best of luck! :smile:

1. What is the purpose of the Physics Extended Essay?

The Physics Extended Essay is an independent research project that allows students to explore a topic of interest in-depth and apply their knowledge and skills in the field of physics. It is a mandatory component of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme and aims to develop students' research, critical thinking, and communication skills.

2. How long should the Physics Extended Essay be?

The Physics Extended Essay should be between 3,000 and 4,000 words in length. This includes the introduction, main body, and conclusion. The word count does not include the abstract, table of contents, references, or any appendices.

3. What are the criteria for grading the Physics Extended Essay?

The Physics Extended Essay is assessed according to five criteria: research question, methodology, analysis, conclusion, and communication. Each criterion is graded on a scale of 0 to 34, with a maximum total score of 34 points. The final grade for the essay is determined by adding the scores for each criterion and converting it to a letter grade using the IB grade boundaries.

4. Can I choose any topic for my Physics Extended Essay?

Yes, you can choose any topic that falls within the scope of physics. However, it is recommended to choose a topic that aligns with your interests and strengths, as well as one that can be investigated using scientific methods and equipment.

5. How can I ensure the success of my Physics Extended Essay?

To ensure the success of your Physics Extended Essay, it is important to carefully select a research question, conduct thorough research, and use appropriate scientific methods and equipment. It is also crucial to properly structure and organize your essay, cite all sources used, and proofread for any errors. Seeking guidance from your supervisor and following the IB guidelines can also greatly contribute to the success of your essay.