Is my proposed IB Physics IA topic on solar system orbits complex enough?

In summary, the conversation discusses the complexity of topics for the IB Diploma Program's SL Physics Internal Assessment. The speaker recommends choosing a simple physical situation and using data to analyze it in detail. They also caution against getting too fancy in the assessment and suggest being precise and focused in the chosen topic. The speaker shares their experience and advises against trying to be original or overly complex. They also mention the importance of using data and being specific in the question being addressed.
Emily R.
I'm a junior in high school and currently in the IB Diploma Program. I'm getting ready to start working on my SL Physics Internal Assessment. I was wondering if anyone has any guidance on how complex a topic has to be to score well. I was thinking of testing how the mass, velocity, and position of various objects in a solar system affect their orbit. Is that a complex enough question?

Hi! In my experience with the IB (and from talking to teachers who've been teaching in the program for years), I've found that to get high marks, you don't necessarily need complex questions/topics. That could even hurt you in some cases.

What I recommend is to analyze a simple physical situation (make sure that it's not simply verifying something like "F=ma"), and write with great detail and precision about it. Important: you should always (or almost always) use data, either through experiments of your own, or from online sources, in your assessments. The IB is highly critical of purely theoretical works. So, for instance, with your proposed question: I think the level of complexity is perfect (for HL IB actually, in SL maybe it's even above the median), but be sure to do two things:
1) make it simple (i.e. theoretically analyze a system with one planet revolving around a sun, and no other planets; be sure to mention that your model was a simplified version of the physical situation in our solar system, for example in that it neglected the small gravitational interactions with other planets, and used Newtonian gravity instead of GR)
and
2) Use data; find an online database with detailed and reliable information about the orbits of the planets in our solar system, and compare the data to your model.

PS. In your original post, you asked how the various physical characteristics of a planet (e.g. mass, position) affects their orbit. This is a bit vague, ambiguous. What exactly do you mean by affects their orbit? The shape of it? Their mean distance from the sun? The time it takes them to go around the sun? Be sure to be precise and focused.

PPS. I'm highly critical of the IB, I think it's no better than the AP system. There's not much freedom here to be original or anything along those lines. Don't try to get too fancy.

PPPS. I got a 7 in HL Physics, but a C on my extended essay which was in physics (predicted grade was an A), so I've acquired some experience; you can trust me on this. Again: don't get too fancy (something I possibly may have done on my extended essay), do stuff that will be easily understood by whoever's correcting your work.

What is the purpose of an IB Physics IA?

The IB Physics IA is an internal assessment that accounts for 20% of your final grade in the IB Physics course. Its purpose is to give you the opportunity to design and conduct your own experiment, analyze your data, and communicate your findings in a scientific report. It also allows you to apply the concepts and skills you have learned in class to a real-world situation.

How do I choose a topic for my IB Physics IA?

Choosing a topic for your IB Physics IA can be challenging, but it is important to choose a topic that you are interested in and that aligns with your strengths in the subject. Some tips for choosing a topic include brainstorming ideas, researching potential topics, and discussing your ideas with your teacher or classmates.

What are the criteria for a good IB Physics IA topic?

A good IB Physics IA topic should be specific, measurable, relevant, and feasible. It should also have a clear research question that can be answered through experimentation, and it should align with the syllabus and command terms for the IB Physics course. Additionally, the topic should allow for sufficient data collection and analysis, and it should have real-world applications and implications.

What are some examples of good IB Physics IA topics?

Good IB Physics IA topics can vary greatly depending on your interests and strengths. Some examples include designing an experiment to investigate the relationship between temperature and the speed of sound, measuring the efficiency of different types of solar panels, or analyzing the motion of a pendulum. You can also look for inspiration from past IA samples or consult with your teacher for ideas.

How can I ensure that my IB Physics IA is successful?

To ensure a successful IB Physics IA, it is important to plan and manage your time effectively. Make sure to carefully follow the IA guidelines and criteria, and seek feedback from your teacher throughout the process. It is also crucial to conduct thorough research, collect accurate data, and analyze your results critically. Finally, make sure to clearly communicate your findings and conclusions in a well-organized and scientific report.