What Is the Probability of Finding Small Tomatoes in a Random Sample?

In summary, approximately 2.3% of cherry tomatoes produced on a certain farm are too small to be sold commercially and must be used for domestic consumption. To determine the probability of a certain number of these unfit tomatoes in a random sample of 12, calculations can be done using the binomial distribution formula. The probability that 3 out of 12 tomatoes are unfit for selling is 0.217 and the probability that at least 4 out of 12 tomatoes are unfit for selling is 0.012. In order to understand the full working out and obtain these answers, the specific steps and calculations used would need to be provided.
ber1023
it is estimated 2.3% of the cherry tomatos fruits produced on a certain farm are considered to be small and cannot be sold for commercial purposes. The farmers have to separate such fruits and use them for domestic consumption instead.
a) 12 tomatoes are randomly selected from the produce, Calc
i) the probability that 3 are not fit for selling
ii)the prob that atleast 4 are not fit for selling

answers are a i) 0.217 ii) 0.012

how do I get them? I need full working out! thanks its for studying!

-- Not for me but posting for a friend who can't figure out how to get the answer. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ber1023 ! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what your friend has tried, and where he's stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

1. What is the IB Probability question?

The IB Probability question is a type of question that is commonly asked in IB (International Baccalaureate) Mathematics exams. It involves solving problems related to probability, which is the measure of how likely an event is to occur.

2. How do I approach solving an IB Probability question?

The first step in solving an IB Probability question is to clearly define the problem and identify what is known and what is unknown. Then, use the appropriate formulas and concepts to calculate the probability. It is important to show all your work and explain your reasoning to receive full credit.

3. What are some common formulas used in IB Probability questions?

Some common formulas used in IB Probability questions include the multiplication rule, addition rule, conditional probability formula, and Bayes' theorem. It is important to understand how and when to apply these formulas in order to solve the problem correctly.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving IB Probability questions?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving IB Probability questions. Make sure to review and understand the concepts and formulas, and then attempt a variety of practice problems. You can also seek guidance from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with a specific concept or question.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid in IB Probability questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid in IB Probability questions include forgetting to consider all possible outcomes, using incorrect formulas, and not showing all your work. It is important to carefully read the question and double check your calculations to avoid making these mistakes.