IB SL Physics May05/Paper 3

• Thread starter Darklord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ib Physics
In summary, the brightness of star A in a binary star system is 8x10^(-13) while the brightness of star B is 2x10^(-14). From this information, it can be deduced that star A has a higher luminosity than star B. Additionally, the surface area of star B is 10,000 times smaller than that of star A. The ratio of the surface temperature of star B to the surface temperature of star A can be calculated using their respective unknowns, but this information is not provided in the conversation.
Darklord
In a particular binary star system, star A has apparent brightness 8x10^(-13) and star B has apparent brightness 2x10^ (-14).

a) Explain how it is possible to deduce that star A has a higher luminosity than star B.

b) The surface area of star B is 10 000 times smaller than that of Star A. Calculate the ratio
surface temperature of star B/ surface temperature of star A

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Because Star A's temperature may be higher and the body my be larger than Star B.

b) I got no idea how to work it out. I wasn't if i have to find all the unknowns.

1. What topics are covered in the IB SL Physics May05/Paper 3?

The topics covered in this paper include mechanics, thermal physics, waves, electricity and magnetism, and atomic and nuclear physics.

2. How many questions are on the IB SL Physics May05/Paper 3?

There are a total of 8 questions on this paper, with a mix of multiple choice, short answer, and extended response questions.

3. What is the time limit for the IB SL Physics May05/Paper 3?

The time limit for this paper is 2 hours and 15 minutes.

4. Are calculators allowed on the IB SL Physics May05/Paper 3?

Yes, calculators are allowed for this paper. However, they must be non-programmable and any stored data must be cleared before the exam.

5. How is the IB SL Physics May05/Paper 3 graded?

The paper is graded on a scale from 0-60, with 40 marks allocated to knowledge and understanding, 10 marks for data-based questions, and 10 marks for practical work.