IBM Interview Thursday: Tips & Softcopy Resume Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses an upcoming interview at IBM's Software Group and the request for a "soft copy" of the resume. The participants are unsure of what this means and offer suggestions for the best electronic format to send. It is suggested to send both a pdf and Word version for ease of use. The conversation ends with the successful outcome of the interview.
mr_coffee
IBM interview thursday! tips? Also do you know what a "soft copy" means of a resume?

Hello everyone!

exciting news, I got an interview for IBM's Software Group on Thursday. He told me to do 2 things before the interview, sign up at IBM and e-mail him a "softcopy" of my resume. Does anyone know exactly what a softcopy of a resume is? Does he mean he wants just a regular text file, such as this, or does it mean he just wants a word version of my resume rather than a .pdf or what do you think?

Also any tips are welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
A "soft copy" means the actual file, as opposed to a "hardcopy" which is a paper print out. He probably doesn't care what file format it's in, but I'd opt for either Word or .pdf.

Sometimes a file copy is referred to as "electrons." For example, "Hey Bob, could you send me the electrons for that whitepaper you drafted the other day?"

Don't worry, I was confused the first time I heard that as well.

Last edited:
mr_coffee said:
Does anyone know exactly what a softcopy of a resume is? Does he mean he wants just a regular text file, such as this, or does it mean he just wants a word version of my resume rather than a .pdf or what do you think?
Unless told otherwise, I would assume that "soft copy" just means an electronic copy as opposed to "hard copy" (actual paper). Send it in whatever electronic form that looks best. (I would not send plain text unless it was specifically asked for.) Word or pdf would be fine. (If he wants a different format, he'll let you know.)

Good luck!

thanks guys!

I was hoping he didn't want a text format of the resume it would be quite gross looking.

I would send multiple formats for his ease of use.

I ended up sending a .pdf and a .doc format he got them and the interview went great!

1. What should I bring to the IBM interview on Thursday?

It is recommended to bring a printed copy of your resume, a notepad and pen, and any relevant documents or portfolios to showcase your skills and experience.

2. How should I prepare for the IBM interview?

Research the company and its products/services, review the job description and requirements, practice common interview questions, and have a clear understanding of your own experiences and qualifications.

3. Can I bring a softcopy of my resume to the interview?

Yes, you can bring a softcopy of your resume on a USB drive or email it to yourself beforehand. However, it is always recommended to have a printed copy as well.

4. What types of questions can I expect during the IBM interview?

You can expect a mix of technical and behavioral questions, as well as questions about your experience and skills. Some common topics may include problem-solving, teamwork, and your knowledge of IBM products and services.

5. How important is a strong resume for the IBM interview?

A strong resume is crucial for any job interview, as it is the first impression the interviewer will have of you. Make sure your resume is well-organized, highlights relevant skills and experiences, and is tailored to the job you are applying for.