IBM PC XT Ram question

Hi All,

i was looking at the IBM PC XT technical reference and it states that the board can take a maximum of 256K of memory. If you look at the schematic you can then see 36 sockets for memory chips and if you see this picture of it

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/1/11/PCXTMainboard01.jpg [Broken]

You can see that the memory chips are ud61256 256k by 1 DRAM chips. How can the board support all these chips if the max it can handle is 256k?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
640kB ought to be enough for anybody. If memory serves me well that was the limit for XT. Doesn't mean all were equipped with 640, early models (and/or cheap ones) had less.

Edit: taken from wikipedia:

There were two widely used configurations of the XT motherboard. The first could support up to 256kB on the motherboard itself (four banks of 64kB chips), with a maximum of 640kB achieved by using expansion cards. This was the configuration the XT originally shipped in. The second configuration - introduced in stock units in 1986 - could support the whole 640kB on the motherboard (two banks of 256kB chips, two banks of 64kB), had the later revision AT-compatible BIOS with a faster booting time, as well as support for 101-key keyboards and 3.5" floppy drives. The earlier configuration could be adapted to 'late' configuration after a couple of minor modifications.

Not sure you got what im saying. Even if the max was 640kB , on the photo you can clearly see 27 chips each with 256Kbits of DRAM. This would amount to 6912Kbits in total and thus 864KB. From what I can see that board is equipped with more memory than it can handle, or I might be seeing it wrongly.

Borek
Mentor
Yep, I misunderstood.

rcgldr
Homework Helper
It's probably 768KB with parity. I don't recall if the memory map of the XT and what it allowed versus the AT.