Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IC Chip Orientation

1. Jan 8, 2009 #1
    Hello!

I have an 8-pin IC that does NOT have a notch in it, and I'm a bit confused on the orientation. The schematic I'm using specifies the orientation using a notch, as does the datasheet from the manufacturer. So, as you can see, I'm in a bit of a pickle. The chip does have a dot on the top surface, as indicated in the attached image (the chip text info orientation is preserved). However, since the schematic lacks this detail, this really doesn't help me. Plus, I've always used the notch, I don't even know if the dot/text is a reliable determinate of orientation.

Anyone know which way this goes? Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The dot generally marks pin 1

4. Jan 8, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The dot is pin 1. Count pin numbers up from pin 1 in a counter-clockwise fashion, so pin 8 is in the upper-right corner in your drawing.

5. Jan 8, 2009 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

The end with the little circle is the same end as the notch (in my experience). Why? They probably switched suppliers of the actual IC casing from the ones with the little circles to the ones with the little notch. Shouldn't really make a difference.

I believe that's y'all ;-)

6. Jan 8, 2009 #5
    Dot is pin 1. Count exactly like Berkeman said.

7. Jan 9, 2009 #6
    thanks y'all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?