Find IC Packages: Database & Drawings | Solved

In summary, Jason found a website where you can browse a database of IC package types and see dimensioned drawings for them. Warren recommends double checking the datasheet dimensions before selecting the "industry standard" package name.
Jdo300
[SOLVED] IC Package Database?

Hello All,

Does anyone know if there is a website somewhere where you can browse a database of IC package types and see dimensioned drawings for them? I see lots of different options out there for the many ICs and transistors but it gets annoying when you have to browse the individual data sheets in order to see what the packages look like.

- Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
The package types are industry standards -- one company's SOT-23 is the same as another's for example. Most semi companies have archives of package mechanical drawings, but they don't usually put them on the web. I don't personally know of any database.

- Warren

Last edited:
Speaking from painful experience, I'd check the datasheet for the part...

I specified one part that was "SSOP" which turned out to mean something very different from what I expected... the common or garden SSOP package data that I gave the pcb guy was 25 thou pitch, whereas the actual part was metric with 1mm pitch. I was ever so pleased.

On the rerun, he gave it a 50 thou pitch, which just about useful with a careful bit of bending of the leadouts...

On the third attempt we got it right.

yes be very careful of going with the "industry standard" for package names, you might be ok most of the time, but not always. Always double check the datasheet, I almost fell into this trap a few times as an intern and was lucky that I was paranoid enough to actually look at the datasheet dimensions and see it differ from the industry standard recommendations.

What is an IC package?

An IC package, or integrated circuit package, is a casing that contains an integrated circuit. It provides physical protection and electrical connections for the integrated circuit.

What is a database of IC packages?

A database of IC packages is a collection of information about different types of IC packages. This can include details such as dimensions, pin layouts, and materials used.

What is the purpose of using IC package drawings?

IC package drawings provide a visual representation of the package, including its dimensions and pin layouts. This can be useful when designing a circuit board or troubleshooting connection issues.

How can I find IC package drawings?

You can find IC package drawings by searching online databases, such as manufacturer websites or electronic component distributors. You can also consult datasheets for specific ICs, which often include package drawings.

Are there any resources for finding IC packages specifically for a certain circuit board?

Yes, there are resources available that allow you to search for IC packages based on specific circuit board layouts. These resources may include CAD libraries or online component databases.