1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ice compressibility

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    Dear PF,

Is ice compressible? What its compressibility... or compressibility relatively to water compressibility

Thanks much

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    An interesting property of ice is that it has a lower density than water which explains why it's so slippery, as you step on the ice the force compresses the crystal structure which breaks it and causes a thin film of water which has a very low coefficient of friction. So yes ice can be compressed but it won't be long until it's no longer ice.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    OK as i understand I can compress ice till it complitely turns into water... if a have an ice cube and i exert force (big force) whole ice will turn into water... but what is its compressibility when my force is not that big to turn the ice cube into water ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook