Making Ice Cream: Exploring Different Ways to Create a Basic Recipe

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary: In the winter, we would do the same thing, but with sugar and heavy cream, and call it "snow cone." This was the best ice cream I ever had.The best ice cream I've ever tasted was home made (by me), ice and rock salt in a wooden bucket, hand cranked. People that had never tasted home made ice cream before were going nuts. I have never found a mass produced ice cream that could match that flavor.
fourier jr said:
I'm pretty sure that's the reason. I've seen Heston Blumenthal make ice cream in a regular Kitchenaid stand mixer using chunks of dry ice.
He has made ice cream using liquid nitrogen as well. (talk about freezing the cream quickly :smile:). As long as you mix it thoroughly, after adding the liquid nitrogen to the mixture, it will come out with smooth consistency. On this clip (in which he also makes bangers & mash and treacle tart), at 3:50, he begins discussion on making ice cream. If you like that one, you ought to catch his clips on the chemistry of chocolate. :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
It's a shame that with all of the electric countertop ice cream makers that most of the younger people here will never know what it's like to make ice cream in a hand cranked wooden ice cream maker. As a kid, that was one of the biggest thrills of summer. Word that you were making ice cream spread like wildfire and within minutes every kid on the block would be there.

I remember working hard for my ice cream. *crank crank crank crank crank* phew!

Ouabache said:
He has made ice cream using liquid nitrogen as well. (talk about freezing the cream quickly :smile:). As long as you mix it thoroughly, after adding the liquid nitrogen to the mixture, it will come out with smooth consistency. On this clip (in which he also makes bangers & mash and treacle tart), at 3:50, he begins discussion on making ice cream. If you like that one, you ought to catch his clips on the chemistry of chocolate. :tongue2:

mmm.. bangers n' mash ice cream! That sounds even better than chicken ripple.

Math Is Hard said:

That's not as crazy as you think! At his restaurant a regular menu item is bacon & egg ice cream.

fourier jr said:
That's not as crazy as you think! At his restaurant a regular menu item is bacon & egg ice cream.

My brother would love that. He's a bacon freak.

Math Is Hard said:
Yep, builds good muscle tone in the arms.

Math Is Hard said:
You're funny :rofl:... check out the clip.. this fellow knows his craft, he is making a high quality vanilla ice-cream

Evo said:
The best ice cream I've ever tasted was home made (by me), ice and rock salt in a wooden bucket, hand cranked. People that had never tasted home made ice cream before were going nuts. I have never found a mass produced ice cream that could match that flavor...
I'm with you, hand cranked in the wooden bucket is great.. The slow consistent turning makes a frozen creamy ice cream. :tongue2:

turbo-1 said:
There is a family that owned a local dairy, and about 25 years ago, they couldn't sell enough butter to get rid of all the milk-fat that they removed from milk to make reduced-fat milks. They opened a small ice cream shop, and started making ice cream to sell locally. It became a huge hit...
I wonder what town they're in, I'd like to stop by sometime and try it.

Math Is Hard said:
Ok, it was hell cranking that ice cream out, but in the end, you were so relieved that it was ready that it tasted like the best thing in the universe!

Evo said:
Ok, it was hell cranking that ice cream out, but in the end, you were so relieved that it was ready that it tasted like the best thing in the universe!

Oh, now I understand the psychology in action here. Homemade ice cream tastes so good because you're so hot and tired from the cranking that anything cold and containing sugar would taste good. :biggrin:

The thought of cooked eggs in ice cream has made me a little queezy:yuck: Poor moonbear!

I bought some 'store sold' ice cream about 2 weeks ago for the first time in maybe six months and noticed it was 25% smaller than the last time I bought it ---it was 1 1/2 quarts-----not the half gallon that it had been (since eternity began)---what a bummer---can't say "pick up a 1/2 gal. of ice cream" anymore

Ouabache said:
I wonder what town they're in, I'd like to stop by sometime and try it.
The company started out as Gifford's Dairy in Skowhegan and now they have franchise stands all over the state.
http://www.giffordsicecream.com/

Oddino's in London is really nice. You can watch the ice-cream being made through a glass window. The especially green coloured pistaccios come from Sicily. The Basil flavour is great, and so is the cinnamon.