1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ice Cube properties

1. Dec 30, 2003 #1
    for my science fair project, i need to know the properties of an ice cube (physical and chemical). Im trying to see if the madd/weight of an ice cube effects its "flicking" distance. dont ask. :)

please help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2003 #2

Mk

Do you mean MASS/weight

If not what does "madd" mean?

4. Jan 1, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How? What question are you asking?

5. Jan 2, 2004 #4
    One observation you can verify about water ice is that, unlike many other substances, water ice is less dense than liquid water. That is, 10 grams of water take up less space than 10 grams of ice. This is why the tops of lakes freeze first and you can ice skate on them while other creatures still live underneath. A fact, it has been suggested, that played some small role in allowing life to form on earth in the first place.

6. Jan 2, 2004 #5
    i ment mass! lol, sorry!!

7. Jan 2, 2004 #6
    im asking if anyone knows like the density of an ice cube, teh volume, stuff like that. I dont know if the volume would change with the size of the ice cube so, i dont think that one would be answerable. still though, whats the density of an ice cube?

**note, im in 7th grade so...you might not get what im saying. Im bad at science **

8. Jan 2, 2004 #7
    There are actually about a dozen different phases of water ice. However, the density of water ice is usually reported to be (approximately) 0.92 g/cm^3. Notably, this is less than the density of liquid water.

It does not make sense to ask for "the" volume of ice. Volume is an extrinsic property. That is, there is not one single value that can be quoted -- it depends on how much you have. You can make a one cubic centimeter ice cube or a one cubic meter ice block. Contrast this with density, which always stays the same regardless of "how much" you have (density is an intrinsic property)

9. Aug 29, 2010 #8
    hi chelsea, i am also in the seventh grade. in order to find out the density of the cube yhu have to divide the mass frm the volume.. and the volume depends on the size of the cube so really yhu would need like i forgot the name of those scales tey use at the pediatric center.. yea so all cubes have different volumes.. so when yhu find ut the volume divide it frm the mass and yhu will have your density..

10. Aug 29, 2010 #9
    btw i found out the volume of a cube it is 15.625 cm3... yep thats it now just divide that with the mass..

11. Aug 29, 2010 #10
    lmaoo sorry about the confusion..

12. Jul 2, 2012 #11

ct2

My question:
    When I remove enough heat from water in my freezer at home using metal ice cube trays, I get water in it's solid form: Ice
    That ice , left long enough in the same trays evaporates , why

Freezer temp remains the same, pressure the same, but given enough time all of the ice will be gone

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  13. Jul 2, 2012 #12
    Ice will evaporate if the partial pressure of water vapor in the gas phase is less than the equilibrium vapor pressure of water ice at the specified temperature. The relative humidity is defined as the ratio of the water vapor partial pressure in the gas phase to the equilibrium vapor pressure (times 100%). If the relative humidity in the gas is less than 100%, water ice (as well as liquid water at higher temperatures) will evaporate. Have you ever noticed that water ice and snow evaporate during winter? This evaporation occurs for the same reason that liquid water evaporates at higher temperatures (e.g., during summer).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?