Ice Flowing Upriver: Surprising Sight at Pittsburgh Point

• Thread starter flatmaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the Allegheny River is bringing in ice from the top of the picture. The Mon is flowing in from the right. Both rivers empty into the Ohio off to the left. Somehow, Ice flowed up the Mon. The current is low today with a slight wind blowing left to right on your picture. However, I'm supprised this amount of Ice came up river. My guess is at least 300 ft. Perhaps the Al is flowing slightly faster, creating an eddy on the mon side of the point?
flatmaster
Here is the point at Pittsburgh. The Allegheny is bringing in ice from the top of your picture. the Mon is flowing in from the right. Both rivers empty into the Ohio off to the left. Somehow, Ice flowed up the Mon. THe current is low today with a slight wind blowing left to right on your picture. However, I'm supprised this amount of Ice came up river. My guess is at least 300 ft. Perhaps the Al is flowing slightly faster, creating an eddy on the mon side of the point?

Attachments

• 0103101347.jpg
    0103101347.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 502
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Are you sure ice isn't flowing downstream and piling up in the upstream direction ("backing up" the river)?

It's farily clear down the ohio. I don't think it's backup.

There has been no ice comming down the Mon at all. This all must have come from the Allegheny.

I suppose it's possible the ice froze in this position. However, it wasn't there this morning after the cold night.

It looks like the ice is towards the right (south) side of the Allegheny.
There is probably a strong north wind blowing it that way.

If so, then maybe it's the wind that is blowing it into the Monongahela
and its flow is not all the strong so there is a calm eddy section
without much surface flow.

My guess is eddies & various chaotic flow patterns. When I was studying water quality monitoring we were told never ever bother trying to measure anything near a river confluence. If the water in each tributary is a different temperature or salinity, they will not mix readily and can flow some distance keeping quite separate from each other. Nowhere near as simple as you would imagine.

Furthermore, you can see the zone where the waters don't mix. The "Muddy mon" is a bit browner. Also, you can see ice floating at the interface of the two bodies of water. However, closer to the actual point, the ice dosen't follow this line.

Attachments

• 0104101520.jpg
    0104101520.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 488
  • 0104101521.jpg
    0104101521.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 441

1. What caused the ice to flow upstream at Pittsburgh Point?

This phenomenon is caused by a combination of factors such as strong winds, changes in water temperature, and the shape of the riverbed. When these conditions align, the ice can be pushed upstream against the natural flow of the river.

2. Is this a common occurrence?

No, this is not a common occurrence and is considered a rare phenomenon. It requires specific conditions to happen and can vary in frequency depending on the location.

3. How long did the ice flow upstream for?

The duration of the ice flowing upstream can vary and is dependent on the strength of the winds and other factors. In this specific case at Pittsburgh Point, the ice flow lasted for approximately 20 minutes.

4. Can this phenomenon be dangerous?

Yes, this phenomenon can be dangerous for boats and other watercrafts that may be caught in the ice flow. It is important to stay cautious and avoid being on the water during these conditions.

5. How does this affect the environment and wildlife?

The ice flow can disrupt the natural flow of the river, affecting the ecosystem and potentially causing harm to wildlife. It can also cause damage to structures and infrastructure along the riverbanks. However, the effects are usually temporary and the ecosystem can recover over time.